Monday, July 09, 2007

Strata XI, Geodes



Strata XI isn't like any of the others...except it is. What makes this a series is the fact that each is created on an adhesive, water soluble ground over which a clear piece of water soluble is placed. The other common denominator is the inspiration...the strata of the earth...like a cross section of ground found in geology and archeology textbooks. Okay, I haven't the slightest idea how geodes appear in nature...but this is the cross section of a whole bunch of them!

Rocks were always fascinating to my sisters and I while we were growing up. We used to try gluing together strange Christmas ornaments from the prettiest pebbles found in a creek flowing off the Untersberg mountain outside Salzburg, Austria. My sister Wanda had a rock tumbler and still collects "minerals". There was a valuable rock collection in our garage...something my parents received from an older man once-upon-a-time. Geodes, of course, were like special treasures...a amethyst surprise inside an otherwise ordinary looking round stone.

I created the piece using the headebo stitch...a stitch that has always reminded me of my Grandma Lenz and the pulls on her shades. All sorts of yarn was wound around paint containers, jars, and aerosol cans while I did the button-holing. Inside each, I put snips of sheer fabric and then free motion stitched. It was difficult...trying to navigate over the thicknesses. Next, I added French knots and the metallic threads by hand...and then I stitched by machine again. After I dissolved it, I didn't like the result. Something was wrong. A day later, a solution presented itself...my handy soldering iron. Once I melted away some of the sheers, there was a sense of a "void"...a "space"...just like a real geode. Now, I'm quite pleased with the piece. In fact, I'm thinking of doing another Strata, mostly in whites, with all sorts of gems scattered within the layers.

8 comments:

arlee said...

You are insane, woman, insane but brilliantly talented! I wish my five days at a time were half as productive! I REALLY REALLY like this one.....

Nikki said...

I love it. The colors and texture are amazing. I would love to see it in person. I'm sure it would be even more wonderful.

Anonymous said...

This is a stunning piece of work.

Purple Missus said...

Yet another fantastic piece of work Susan. You are an inspiration to us all.

Unknown said...

You're Strata series are so great Susan, I enjoyed every one of them! Hope you will continue with this.

Micki said...

These pieces you are creating for the exhibition are wonderful. I love the colors and the wonderful texture in them all.

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

I am looking forward to seeing the last creation you have illustrated, sewn in white with hints of colour.Think it will be stunning. Thanks for sharing how you have created the artwork and the inspiration. Makes the work come alive.
Great comments on my blog.. thank you for passing.
Best wishes
Maggie

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful and it's "rocks" so I'm especially into it. Dad and I went digging around the creek in Furstenbrunn looking for pieces of Untersberg marble for my tumbler. We tried going to the marble quarry in Glanegg but it is so overgrown you can't get to it. And there is a large pond!! I am going to do at least two tumblers full of only what I gathered. I am excited not only because it is one of my favorite rocks but I haven't tumbled all the same hardness before so I am anxious to see how it compares.