Monday, September 20, 2010

It's So Hard To Say Goodbye, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt


(Above: It's So Hard To Say Goodbye, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series. 25" x 25". Vintage linens and lace. Recycled felt center. Hand stitched. Click on image to enlarge.)

With all the excitement over "Personal Grounds", my solo exhibition at The City Gallery at Waterfront Park in Charleston, it might have been easy to neglect some of my other fiber work. Fortunately, hand stitching is one of the most effective ways I know to focus my thoughts, calm my nerves, and let me sleep peacefully. So.....yes....I've been continuing my Grave Rubbing Art Quilt Series and just finished a new one.....It's So Hard To Say Goodbye.


(Above: It's So Hard To Say Goodbye, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

The rubbing came from a small, bronze marker in the more modern section of the Rock Creek Cemetery in Washington, DC. I loved all the French knots and seeding stitches that held all these vintage linens and laces together. The piece went along on my trip to Hungary.


(Above: It's So Hard to Say Goodbye, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

The vintage linens I used on the reverse were in a box sent from Connie in Texas! Thanks so very, very much!


(Above: It's So Hard to Say Goodbye. Reverse. Click on image to enlarge.)

1 comment:

Cynthia Nicole said...

it's really beautiful! The elements come together perfectly.