Thursday, November 11, 2010

New Work and planning a new Decision Portrait show!


(Above: Stained Glass XXIII, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

Yesterday I delivered artwork to the Grovewood Gallery...three recently finished, larger "In Box" pieces and this new faux-stained glass fiber work. I love making these even though I really cut the timing very, very close! I finished melting it an hour before I left. This gave just enough time for my husband Steve to get it into its frame and slap the label on the back! I've already drawn designs for five more. Work begins this afternoon.....leisurely now! Thank goodness!

(Above: Stained Glass XXIII, full view. Framed 64 1/2" x 24 1/2". Click on image to enlarge.)

Here's the piece from top to bottom! Click on any image to enlarge!











My drive to Asheville, however, wasn't a direct one. I went by Greenville's Warehouse Theater to see the expansive, two-tiered lobby space. A sampling of my Decision Portraits will be on display here as a solo show this coming January 21 - February 12, 2011 while the theater produces "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"


(Above: The main lobby area at Warehouse Theater in Greenville.)

The talented painted JJ Ohlinger is in charge of booking the artwork for the theater and his work is hanging there now. There's an opening reception and a closing "artist's talk" as well. He and I talked about some of the unique ways to mount artwork on the brick walls as well as using a provided overhead grid system that will allow my portraits to hang literally in front of the fifteen windows on the lower level. It promises to be a worthwhile challenge. The space is much, much better for artwork than I dared to hope! I'm excited!



Here are two photos of the last "In Box" piece I made:


(Above and below: In Box LXXX, full view and detail. Framed: 35 1/2" x 23 1/2". Click on images to enlarge. My tutorial called "How to Make an In Box" is located HERE. It is a step-by-step, pictorially illustrated blog post! The faux-stained glass fiber pieces are made the same way.....just cut the polyester velvet into the desired shapes!)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Another fantastic piece! Congrats on the upcoming show, the place looks like a wonderful space to showcase your art! I just re visited your tutorial page, someday I hope to give this a go!It sure does take a lot of time and work! Amazing windows!

Fifi said...

extraordinary
amazing
phenomenal
rare