Monday, May 02, 2011

I do / I don't, Installation for Artista Vista 2011


(Above: I do / I don't, an installation celebrating both marriage and divorce! Click on any image in this post to enlarge.)

This past weekend was a blast! In addition to Runaway Runway, a fashion shop of recycled materials on Friday night, I had an installation on display for Artista Vista, the spring "art crawl" here in Columbia. The reception was on Thursday night.



I had the surprise of a life time when my mother and youngest sister Sonya walked in the door. I had no idea that they'd be flying down for the weekend ... especially since my parents will be again traveling south this coming weekend for my cousin's graduation and their time-share in Florida! We had such a great time!



It is especially nice to know that these special people have seen this installation in person! There where five other artists displaying work in this otherwise "available" retail space. Yet, the show was simply for the weekend. Now I'm in the process of writing a new exhibition proposal so that I can hopefully share this work in the future, in another space, and maybe for a longer period of time!



I collected statements from the public about both marriage and divorce ... via social media, this blog, private email messages, and general pestering of family and friends. These statements were free motion embroidered onto eleven wedding veils and the "tie-the-knot" ribbons which were suspended from the ceiling. They were also included on the photos that decorated the narrow shelves in front of floor-length, built-in mirrors and on the marble fireplace mantel. They were also used to create a unique artist book. The book is in the photo above and below ... sitting on a pedestal. People loved reading these statements ... in all forms.



People also loved adding their own statements about marriage and divorce. I included four, framed pieces of mat board and colored felt-tipped markers. By the end of the weekend, they were covered.


I can't wait to remove the simple spiral binding from the book and create more pages! Some of the new statements are GREAT ... like "Marry for $$$ and you'll earn every penny of it!"



On Saturday in the late afternoon, the installations closed. It took me exactly seven-and-a-half minutes to remove the artwork from the room. It took a lot longer to install!

4 comments:

lynda Howells said...

wow..looked an amazing exhibition. You are on a roll womanx great idea to get people to write on boards ect..greatxxlit would look amazing just as a one woman showx lynda

Bee said...

I love this! The installation looks wonderful! I wish I could see it in person. I imagine the statements are very interesting!!

lindacreates said...

This is amazing Susan! I love what you have done in all of the different mediums. It had to be very dramatic in person!

Wanda said...

The photos are wonderful, Susan. And if the pictures represent even half of it, I just can't imagine what it is to stand in the middle! I love the matboard for people to write their own things. Your installations are really quite interactive and that helps people understand and relate, even if they've never thought about it. Great job, Susan. Absolutely wonderufl!