Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Trip to DC and Rocky Mount


(Above: Steve in the courtyard of the Textile Museum in Washington, DC ... at the very beginning of the "Urban Picnic". Within a half hour, the whole place was filled with people!)

This past weekend Steve and I traveled to Washington, DC. We arrived on Thursday night in time for a really cool event called "PM at the TM: An Urban Picnic". Hosted by the Textile Museum, this was a great time for young, local professionals to "hang out" and listen to some great bluegrass music while sitting on provided packaging blankets in the courtyard ... eating BBQ. We arrived early and sat in the gardens with a beer until two of my fiber Facebook friends, Lorie McCown and Elizabeth Woodford, arrived. They live in the Fredericksburg area and joined us on the first of three tours through the "Green: A Color and a Cause" exhibition. Lee Talbot was one of the curators. He led the tour, starting with an explanation about the participating artists. Evidently, 35 pieces from over 1000 were selected. The artists come from five different continents. Before this, I was really thrilled to be included. With this information, I nearly fainted! Of course, Lee Talbot didn't know one of the artists was on the tour. I wanted to see which pieces were singled out during such a program ... and I was beyond excited when he talked about Wasted Words: Global Warnings. Lorie and Elizabeth then told him that I was the creator of the work. Later we took photos! Such fun!



On our return trip, we stopped at the Imperial Art Centre in Rocky Mount, NC where I'll be mounting "Last Words", my solo show of Grave Rubbing Art Quilts, epitaph banners, and mixed media photo transfers of cemetery angels. This is also the show in which artificial flowers will line the perimeter of the space.



It's a gigantic room. It is the space for which I hoped my work would hang. Now, all I have to do is more than double my collection of artificial flowers collected from cemetery dumpsters! I've been working on it. Mother's Day evening and Memorial Day evening were great dumpster diving times!

1 comment:

lynda Howells said...

congrats on all eventsxxx go find more flowers girl!x