Sunday, February 10, 2013

Made By Hand


(Above:  Made By Hand, 12" x 12" art quilt for the 2013 SAQA Auction.  Click on image to enlarge.)

I'm a PAM (Professional Artist Member) of SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates).  I'm very proud of this fact because this is a peer review level in an international organization promoting art quilts ... as ART ... with a capital "A".  Every year there is an on-line auction.  There were 394 pieces in 2012.  They raised $67,450!  Each work is required to be 12" x 12".  This is my third year to donate.

Vintage gloves were stitched to a beautiful linen napkin with a scalloped edge.  The napkin was actually too large.  I splice it vertically and horizontally into quarters ... then stitched it back together to the correct size.  I also cut the gloves ... so that I wasn't hand sewing through so many layers.  Still, it took quite a bit of patience and strength to pull the thread through so much fabric.  Instead of using traditional batting, I used a stiff Peltex.  This made stitching even harder but it was worth it.  With the Peltex, the piece is not flimsy, won't curl under the uneven weight of the gloves, and will hang perfectly as a result.  All the gloves were washed but not bleached or otherwise cleaned.  I like the "used" look and the suggestion of age.  Besides, the red glove is leather.  There was no way for me to clean it, and it definitely showed signs of being well worn.  Thus, the "white ones" just had to stay looking "older" too.


(Above:  Made By Hand, reverse.  Click on image to enlarge.)

I used a vintage printed tablecloth for the reverse and its sleeve.  The center was made by putting a tiny coaster-like doily on top of a crocheted doily with a multi-colored, variegated thread border of pretty pansies.  I machine stitched the title, my name, and the information about SAQA.  The piece is currently "in the mail" for the on-line auction which starts Monday, September 9th at 2:00 PM EST and runs through Sunday, September 29th at 2:00 PM EST.  Check it out HERE ... a place where this piece will soon be shown!

Although I have several blog posts this past week, I've selected this one to be link to Nina-Marie's "Off the Walls Friday" site which shares fiber art works ... completed and in progress.  Visit it HERE!

7 comments:

Margaret said...

What fun! I have yet to make my contribution for this year...Ooops!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wanda said...

Yet another piece that proves that you see things way differently than most people. At least me. I never even looked at a glove as anything more than something to keep your hands warm! Thanks for always opening my mind

Judy Ferguson said...

Once again, you have invented and repurposed everyday objects into art. Wonderful.

Lisa Chin said...

This is fabulous! What a very clever idea!

MulticoloredPieces said...

Great piece--LUV the gloves and how you used them. I have a small glove collection and haven't found the right idea yet. And congratulations for your Professional Artist standing in SAQA--no mean feat.
best, nadia

Marti said...

Very creative, and also well done!