Saturday, January 24, 2015

Cover Girl!

 (Above:  Art from the Ashes, a Jasper Magazine publication.)

This morning I opened an email that let me know Cindi Boiter, editor of Jasper Magazine, posted an image of the cover of the new book she edited, Art from the Ashes.  This was exciting news!  Why? Well, several months ago Cindi requested a CD of my images ... all the photos of the rusted and naturally stained vintage garments I was making for the upcoming art exhibit ... also called Art from the Ashes.  So, I knew one of my photos would be on the cover.  I didn't want to know which one. I wanted it to be a surprise, a chance to share the news on the appropriate day, not keep a secret for weeks on end. 

(Above:  The rusted and naturally stained vintage garment from which the cover image was shot.)

Quickly, I clicked to the link and saw the detail from this former sleeping gown.  Excellent!  It is quite an honor to have my work featured in this way.  Thank you, Cindi!


Later today, Steve and I are driving to Duluth, GA.  It is just outside Atlanta.  Tonight is the opening reception of Intertwined: Contemporary Southeast Fiber Art at the Hudgens Center for the Arts. This exhibit runs from January 13th through March 21 and then travels to the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of Atlanta, Atlanta, GA from Mar. 23 - Apr. 21; Lamar Arts, Barnesville, GA from May 1 - June 27; and finally to the Annette Howell Turner Center for the Arts, Valdosta, GA from Aug. 3 - Sept. 30. My piece, The Virgin of Gone and Forgotten Triptych, is included.

We return early on Sunday morning.  Why? Well, by 2 PM Sunday afternoon I'll be at the Tapps Art Center hanging three installations and two art quilts for Art from the Ashes.  That opening is the following Sunday, February the first from 5 - 7.  There's a panel discussion on Thursday, February 5th from 7 - 9.  This is quite an exciting time in Columbia!

No comments: