Friday, October 28, 2016

New Work for my solo show at City Art

(Above:  Four new pieces for my solo show at City Art, opening during the annual autumn art crawl called Vista Lights, Thursday, November 17th.  Click on any image for an enlargement.)

This past week has been BUSY ... as November is fast approaching!  Next week will find me driving to Ft. Myers, Florida to teach a sold-out workshop Art Quilters Unlimited.  Immediately upon my return, Steve and I depart for the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft show ... which is followed by my solo show at City Art.  No "down time"!  Thus, this past week has been a serious push toward creating last new pieces for these opportunities!  I love having so much time in my studio.

(Above:  In Box CCLXXII.  Inventory # 3858.  Framed:  33" x 21". $550)

First I finished In Box CCLXXII which was started before the trip to the Espanola Fibre Festival in Canada.

(Above: In Box CCLXXIII, detail.)
 
(Above: In Box CCLXXIV.  Inventory # 3859.  Framed:  33" x 21". $550)

I started the week with In Box CCLXXIV ...

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXIV, detail.)

... but then decided to make even LARGER pieces ... ones with limited palettes, horizontal orientations, no soldered holes, only geometric motifs, for white-on-white presentations.  I'd made an orange and a blue piece using these parameters before and really liked the results.  So ... scroll down to see how four more turned out!

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXV. Inventory # 3860. Unframed: 18" x 30; Framed 25" x 37". $675.)

All four of these new pieces have Tru Vu's AR Reflection-Free Glass ... and thus almost no glare or reflection at all.  From most angles, it looks as if there is no glass!  What a bonus (though it is sort of expensive)!

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXV, detail.)

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXVIII.  Inventory # 3863. Unframed: 18" x 30; Framed 25" x 37". $675.)

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXVIII, detail.)

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXVI. Inventory # 3861. Unframed: 18" x 30; Framed 25" x 37". $675.)

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXVI, detail.)

 
(Above: In Box CCLXXVII. Inventory # 3862. Unframed: 18" x 30; Framed 25" x 37". $675.)

(Above: In Box CCLXXIX.  Inventory # 3864.  Unframed: 18" x 22"; Framed: 21" x 25".)

Finally, I decided to do something else ... totally different!  This is In Box CLXXIX.  It might look like the red/purple piece featured above but it is uniquely different.  I didn't melt anything at all ... not even the space between the "boxes".  Instead, I just free motion machine stitched the work and framed it.  I have even more ideas for other pieces that will be variations on this idea, but they will have to wait until another time.  It is simply amazing how this series still inspires me.

I am linking this blog post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The mood certainly changes as the color changes. Enjoy your solo show.