Wednesday, April 04, 2018

Second Shot! Ready, Aim, Fire! II

 (Above:  Ready, Aim, Fire! II.  Recycled police practice target fused to 2-ply rag board with hand stitched buttons.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

On April 22 the SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) international juried exhibition Guns: Loaded Conversations opens at the San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles in California.  Ready, Aim, Fire! is part of the exhibit.  It is even featured in the SAQA website's banner promoting the show.  The opening show runs through July 15th.  I'm very proud to be part of it.  The catalog arrived in this past week's mail. It's great! The exhibit is very, very strong.  I gladly signed the show contract permitting a two year loan of the piece.  It is hopeful that during this time additional venues will be found.  I was perfectly happy about all this until something happened.

 (Above: Ready, Aim, Fire! II, detail.)

An Atlanta based curator contacted me in regards to an autumn exhibit she was putting together.  The show focuses on contemporary artists who transform ordinary objects into unique works of art.  She requested Time, my 3D found object sculpture and Ready, Aim, Fire!  Of course I was thrilled to have my work noticed and wanted for a show. 

 (Time, found object assemblage of clock cases and parts with other objects.)

Time is most certainly available but Ready, Aim, Fire! will likely be sitting in the SAQA shipping center in Ohio next fall.  It's not appropriate to ask for it "on loan" from SAQA when it is already "on loan" to SAQA.  What's an artist to do?  Well ... I asked the curator if I could simply make another one.  The answer was YES!  This is the result ... a second shot!  I don't have the final details for this invitations exhibit but will post it when available.

(Above:  Ready, Aim, Fire! II sitting on my front porch for its photo shoot!  Ready, aim, snap that camera button!)

1 comment:

Shirlee Fassell said...

Amazing love them both!