Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Four pieces made in the midst of other things

(Above:  In Box CCCXV. Inventory # 4283. Unframed: 14" x 10"; framed: 19" x 15". $235.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

This is a big week for me.  Tomorrow my husband Steve and I will be up before dawn in order to arrive at Theatre Art Galleries in High Point, North Carolina when they open.  We'll work all day.  By closing time, my solo installation Anonymous Ancestors should be ready to receive the public.  At least that's the plan.  I'm always a little nervous, especially when I've never stepped foot in the venue. That's part of the adventure of working as an installation artist! 

(Above:  In Box CCCXVI.  Inventory # 4284. Unframed: 14" x 10"; framed: 19" x 15". $235.)

By this time next week, I'll be in Columbus, Ohio teaching two HOT workshops (a two-day and a five-day experience!) for QSDS.  I'm excited!  I'm also quite busy making artwork for an upcoming spring exhibition called Alternative Storytellers and for an invitational exhibition focusing on the suffragists.  This show is being curated by the amazing Dr. Sandra Sider.  I selected to create a work on Lucy Stone.  It involves about a million tiny seed stitches using a thin, silver metallic sewing thread.  I'm also getting ready for my art residency at the Rensing Center, June 10 - July 13th.  
 
 (Above:  In Box CCCXVII. Inventory # 4285. Unframed: 14" x 10"; framed: 19" x 15". $235.

What really grounds me during busy times is the consistency found in my "In Box" and "Stained Glass" series.  No matter how many other directions my artwork is taking me, there is an undeniable comfort when layering polyester stretch velvet shapes, stitching them together, and melting them apart.  These are the latest four pieces made during the past week.

(Above:  In Box CCCXVIII. Inventory # 4286. Unframed: 14" x 10"; framed: 19" x 15". $235.)

I really needed to make these works.  I sold all the ones this size at the Smithsonian Craft Show!  It is wonderful to think about the places my work now hangs and exciting to imagine all the other homes that might include a new piece!

No comments: