Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Minutes

(Above:  Minutes. Digital images on fabric with hand and machine embroidery and found clock gears.  Framed: 29 1/4" x 20 1/2". Inventory # 4347. $300.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

The work I create to fill my booth at the upcoming Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show (November 2 - 4) is entirely stitched on my machine.  I think I'd go crazy if I didn't also have a project needing at least some hand stitching!  Having a small piece at the ready is important to me, and recently these three fit the bill.

(Above:  The top third of Minutes.)

There are several lines of machine stitching but mostly there are sections of dense seeding stitch done by hand.  Also, each section has several real clock gears attached using clear monofilament.  Because of the extra depth these gears added, I framed them using a deep, foam-centered behind the top mat.  The foam-centered board's beveled edge is covered with marbleized tape.

(Above:  The middle third of Minutes.)

The images came from a unique auction selling clocks, watches, and all sorts of parts and machinery for clock repair.  I was an unsuccessful bidder but got great snapshots!  Spoonflower printed the selection.  My gears came from other auctions.  Now, I'm hand-stitching on another picture.  This one is from Santa Fe.  It might take another month before I finish but it will be posted when complete!


(Above:  The bottom third of Minutes.)

No comments: