Friday, May 08, 2020

Postcards

 (Above:  Twenty-eight postcards.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

It all started when I realized that I'd made fifty-one compositions in my recent Laundry Day Series.  I only intended to make fifty.  So, I threw the last one onto a stack of pages from Charles Richardson's English Language Dictionary (1846) that were already fused to fabric and loosely stitched.  Some of these pages became part of my Great Quotation Series, a project that ended a couple years ago.  The extra pieces were just "sitting there gathering dust". An idea occurred!  Why not cut all these things up and turn them into postcards? 

 
 (Above:  Postcards being glued to sheets of colored paper.)

A few minutes at my paper cutter, the stack was transformed into twenty-eight 4" x 6" rectangles.  Something was needed for the back ... a place for an address.  Paper was required.  Another idea occurred!  I remembered a gift from a friend.  Years ago Joe Wider gave me a package of intensely colored paper.  I used matte medium to attach the postcards to several of the 6" x 9" pieces of paper.  The next day, they were trimmed and flattened in my dry mount press.  They are now ready to be mailed ... and the first twenty-seven people to contact me with their physical mailing address are going to get one! 

 
 (Above:  The Color-aid package donated to my stash by Joseph Wider.)

Why just twenty-seven since I made twenty-eight?  Well, the first one (selected at random) is already stamped and on its way to Joseph Wider!  THANKS! 

 (Above:  The back of the Color-aid package.)

Leaving an address as a public comment is probably a poor idea.  My email address is a better place!  It's mouse_house@prodigy.net!  Steve and I have bets on how long it will take for me to run out of postcards.  As I'll put this on Facebook, I'm not thinking it will take too long!




3 comments:

Christine said...

Another brilliant idea! I love your 'waste not, want not' ethic.
Xx

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

lovely idea...

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

That is really sweet. I have sent off an email.