Tuesday, December 08, 2020

Four Small Mandalas

(Above:  Mandala XIX. Framed: 11 1/4" x 11 1/4".  Single motif from a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt onto which are stitched buttons, clock gears and parts, Oriental brass picture hangers, loose leaf ring binders, metal washers, parts of large snap fasteners, small safety pins, and an early 20th century medal. Click on any image to enlarge.)

When I cut up the old, slightly tattered Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt, I had a these four individual motifs still whole and decided to make these tiny mandalas.  It was really fun and a great way to use some of the single or double items I have.  Generally, I need at least four, six, eight, twelve, or sixteen of everything used.  Multiples are needed but these little mandalas provide places for other trinkets.

(Above:  Mandala XVIII.  Framed: 11 1/4" x 11 1/4".  Single motif from a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt onto which are stitched buttons, stork scissors, three little locks, strange metal pins (that I have no idea what are), external foot washers, and sewing machine bobbins.)

I have already cut up the next vintage quilt.  It is quite different.  It is mainly nine-patches in pink on a dark brown background.  Thus, the next challenge is one all about light-and-dark and strong contrasts.   

(Above:  Mandala XX. Framed: 11 1/4" x 11 1/4".  Single motif from a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt onto which are stitched buttons, zipper pulls, clock gears, Oriental brass picture hangers, loose leaf ring binders, keys, and vintage owl shaped paper clips.)

My husband Steve went with me to Joann Fabrics to select a netting to go over the entire surface of the coming mandalas.  I used a gray netting for all those made on the Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt but it looked dull on the dark brown. We put a large section of the quilt on the floor and played with several shades of netting ... right in the store's aisle. Thankfully, the manage knows that I'm "an artist".  Amazingly, a salmon colored netting looked better than any tan, pink, or brown. 

(Above:  Mandala XXI. Framed: 11 1/4" x 11 1/4".  Single motif from a vintage Grandmother's Flower Garden quilt onto which are stitched buttons, clock gears, safety pins, small keys, and another early 20th century medal donated to my stash from a friend in Wyoming!  Thank you, Phillippa Lack!)

Even though I'm otherwise "ready to stitch" on the next mandala, I'm taking a break. I'm stitching on something else and it is going very, very well.  I think that switching from one concentration to the next and back again is one of the important ways that I maintain my engagement with my various series.  Nothing ever gets boring.  While stitching on one idea, I'm thinking and/or rethinking about another project.  Everything seems new and exciting when approached this way!
 

2 comments:

Margaret said...

My initial thought was that these are very "tidy" pieces...but Mandala XX -- that one looks like a face! Whoa!

Ann Scott said...

Oh, these small pieces are wonderful.
I'm pleased to hear you are still able to attend the auctions.