Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Mandala LXXXVI and LXXXVII

 
(Above:  Mandala LXXXVI. Custom framed: 16 1/4" x 16 1/4". Found objects hand-stitched to a block of a vintage quilt. Found objects include: a 19th century ambrotype surrounded by an embossed, copper spandrel in half of an antique, hinged case; round, crystal prisms; dominoes; cafe curtain hangers; two small locks; two sewing machine bobbins; two ornamental brass clock fixtures; four Hungarian ten-fortin coins on four galvanized washers; plastic garter hooks; clock gears; buttons; and four, brown rings of unknown function and small brushes that were sent to me by a cyber friend in Connecticut.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Months ago, I cut a really ugly quilt into single blocks.  I had to.  There wasn't a section with four blocks worth using.  The colors were too varied from block to block, and several blocks were damaged beyond hope.  Yet, it was a really large quilt.  I had so many single blocks that I thought I'd never run out of them ... but ... I did.  These two, small mandalas are the last of the blocks.

 
(Above:  Mandala LXXXVII.  Custom framed: 16 1/4" x 16 1/4". Found objects hand-stitched to a single block of a vintage quilt.  Found objects include:  a 19th century ambrotype surrounded by an embossed, copper spandrel in half of an antique, hinged case; beads and sequins; keys; round, crystal prisms; felt covered piano hammers; cafe curtain hooks; four inlaid backgammon pieces; four English two-pence conis; eight Hungarian fortins; clock gears; buttons; and four brown rings of unknown function.) 

The last two quilt blocks were amazingly the same fabrics.  Therefore, I created two related mandalas by using the antique ambrotypes in the center.  I didn't break the cases.  They were already broken. These might be the last, small mandalas finished before the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show ... but I've already started another another one.  Time will tell!

 
(Above:  Detail of Mandala LXXXVI.)

Steve and I have plenty to do before the big show.  One of the major tasks is creating boxes for all the larger mandalas.  1" x 3" wooden slats, two pieces of corrugated, and plenty of washers with screws are needed per box. Each box is labeled with a description of the enclosed artwork.

 
(Above:  Mandala LXXXVI, detail.)

We will pack the cargo van on Sunday ... try to "remember what we've forgot" on Monday ... and leave at dawn on Tuesday.  I'm nervous and excited.  Below are a few more detail images.

 
(Above:  Mandala LXXXVII, detail.)
 
(Above:  Mandala LXXXVII, detail.)

3 comments:

Els said...

Always amazed to see these, Susan ! I KNOW you must have a HUGE stash for this :-)
(never trough ANYTHING away . . . . :-D !)

Norma Schlager said...

So happy to see my tiny brushes used. The block is incredible!

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

Imagine if you "ran out" of objects! :-) Only joking as I guess as Norma has commented, people will keep you supplied