Friday, December 03, 2021

If I Shed My Skin, What Color Would I Be?

(Above:  If I Shed My Skin, What Color Would I Be?, 13 3/4" x 9 3/4". Snake skin and letters clipped from vintage ephemera in UV filtering epoxy on a Haviland porcelain platter.  Click on either image to enlarge.)

A couple months ago I read a friend's Facebook post about finding a snake skin atop her nicely trimmed Boxwood shrubs.  She was just horrified to know that a very long snake had been so close.  I left a comment saying I'd love to acquire it.  She brought it in a large bag and said it was her husband who put it there.  She wasn't about to touch it.  I thanked her profusely because I knew exactly what I wanted to it with it.

(Above:  Detail image)

My plan had to go "on hold".  Until Thanksgiving weekend, I had no reason to mix up any epoxy.  Over the weekend, I mixed epoxy on three different days.  Thus, the clipped letters were applied after the first two, thin applications of epoxy went over the snake.  They letters seem to float above the porcelain platter.  On the third day, the final layer of epoxy sealed the letters and any of the snake skin that was still exposed.  I'm very pleased with this work and the question it poses.
 

1 comment:

Ann Scott said...

Well, that's really something and does cause some thinking.