Monday, January 24, 2022

Mandala CIV, a commission

 
(Above:  Mandala CIV. Custom framed: 15 1/2" x 15 1/2". Sentimental and found objects hand-stitched to a single block of a vintage quilt. Sentimental objects include: wrist and pocket watches, old keys, name plate, and AA recovery medallions. Found objects include: clock gears; four brown rings of unknown function; white bottle caps, and buttons.  Click on either image to enlarge.)

Accepting an artistic commission using someone's precious keepsakes is both an honor and a risk ... especially if the expectation is that the resulting artwork would be a Found Object Mandala.  I might have been worried or anxious or unsure of myself, but that wasn't the case with this particular piece.  The nice lady requesting this artwork has contributed to my stash for years.  She's given me piles of beautiful old fabric to use in the workshops I conduct.  She's let me know about her church bazaar ... where I've scored dozens of "multiples".  She's brought old quilts too and has followed this series since it started.  So, I was actually excited to accept this important commission.  The items were once her father's.  

 
(Above:  Mandala CIV, detail.)

He died years ago ... after receiving his 28th AA recovery medallion.  He is remembered with love and respect.  I don't doubt that his great grandchildren will adore this artwork long after I join him in heaven.

No comments: