Friday, February 18, 2022

All in one day's adventure

(Above:  Foust Textile's Warehouse Sale.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Yesterday was a whirlwind of fun.  Steve and I were up and out of the house by 6:30 AM.  We stopped for coffee and headed up I-77.  On the road, Steve asked, "Do you think many people will be coming for this sale?"  I admitted having no idea at all and said, "This is a wholesale only company.  They've saved me from playing the 'coupon game' at Joann Fabrics by always carrying bolts of Pellon's 805 Wonder Under for a very low price.  I just want to see what sort of products are carried, things that might not be listed on their on-line shopping selection.  Maybe we'll be the only ones there.  Who knows?"

(Above:  Giant boxes stretching from one end of the warehouse to the other ... filled with cuts of fabric that were being sold by the pound.)

We were not the only ones there.  Arriving around 8:30 (just a half hour after the doors opened), we found the last place in the parking lot.  License plates were from Florida, Virginia, West Virginia, and both North and South Carolina.  By the time we left, both sides of the frontage road in front of the warehouse were parked full.  It was AMAZING!  We were greeted at the door.  Our credentials were checked ... wholesale only ... retail sales tax information and/or an established account.  We have both.  Two extremely large warehouses were connected to one another.  There was more fabric than I could imagine.  I nearly cried when finding packages of chenille needles.  I bought four little, folding travel scissors for an upcoming Found Object Mandala, another bolt of Wonder Under, skeins of perle cotton in boxes of six, and 6000 yard cones of 100% black cotton thread.  I even found three pieces of polyester stretch velvet.  It was like hitting the jackpot.


(Above:  Selfie with Didi Salvatierra.)

Best of all, we ran into Didi Salvatierra who was purchasing fabric for her guild's Quilts for Valor charity work.  Everyone was so nice.  Steve and I are already planning to return when the next sale happens.

From there, we drove to Carolina Steinway.  I'm happy to say that all three Found Object Mandalas, including the recently finished one featuring all 88 keys, were purchased for their collection.  I forgot, however, to take a photo.  Trust me!  It was a glorious feeling that these pieces have a new home!

  

(Above:  Giving my Artist Talk at the Sumter County Gallery of Art.)

Steve and I drove home, changed, and went on to the Sumter County Gallery of Art where I was treated like royalty.  Seriously, I'm almost always embarrassed by the kind introductions.  Executive director Karen Watson's words were no exception.  Curator Cole Miller led the conversation with some of the best topics ever.  This wasn't a "tell me about this piece" sort of talk.  We spoke about inspiration, legendary and mythical embroiderers from history, and the desire to leave a lasting legacy.  The audience seemed as captivated in hearing as much as I was in speaking.  Truly, yesterday was a great adventure!

4 comments:

Linda Schiffer said...

It really IS a small world! Didi Salvatierra is a quilting aquaintance of mine. I knew her best when I owned Seminole Sampler quilt shop in Catonsville, MD. I still live in that area. What a kick seeing her photo on your blog.

:) Linda

Susan Lenz said...

Thanks for reading and posting a comment! It truly was an eye-opening day. I had no idea how many bolts of fabric can fit into a warehouse! Spotting a friend was the icing on the cake!

Ann Scott said...

Oh my goodness! Congratulations on the great finds, and on your work and words being recognized (again), for the gifts that truly do keep giving. So wonderful that the Steinway mandalas were acquired for their collection.

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

what an amazing sale, and so MUCH - some of which found themselves going home with you!