Saturday, July 23, 2022

Two New, Large In Boxes

(Above:  Me with In Box CDXIX.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

The last few days have been CRAZY!  Why? Well, I've been in a rush to finish up several new artworks that will be headed to the Grovewood Gallery in the morning.  The rush was largely due to the fact that last week's supplies from our framing distributor only arrived this Wednesday.  Thankfully, Steve and I have been framing since 1987.  We know how to go into "high gear", especially when on a deadline.  The artwork has all been finished, framed, photographed, and now ... blogged!  From the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville, I'm headed to a week outside Pickens, South Carolina.

(Above:  In Box CDXVIII.  Custom framed with UV filtering/anti-reflective, conservation glass: 32 1/2" x 22 1/2". Layers of polyester stretch velvet fused onto recycled, black industrial felt with free-motion machine stitching and melting techniques. $575.00.)

Until this year, the place in Pickens was a non-profit art residency program called The Rensing Center.  I've been lucky enough to have been there several times in the past.  Yet, running such a place is difficult.  My friend Ellen Kochansky, who owns the buildings and land, has decided to transform her place and rent out some of the accommodations through AirBnB.  Thankfully, she has allowed a few Rensing Center alum to continue coming.  I'm so glad to have next week in the country, in solitude, in a place where the phone isn't going to ring with unsolicited calls and there is no custom picture framing needing my attention.  My plan is to work, work, work ... and by that, I mean ... stitch, stitch, stitch.

(Above:  In Box CDXIX.  Custom framed with UV filtering/anti-reflective, conservation glass: 32 1/2" x 22 1/2". Layers of polyester stretch velvet fused onto recycled, black industrial felt with free-motion machine stitching and melting techniques. $575.00.)

What will I be stitching?  Well ... cording!  I've amassed an enormous stash of yarn and thread.  All of it comes from auctions, thrift stores, yard sales, and generous others who have donated to my stash.  I will be zigzag stitching it into enormous balls of cording.  The cording will later be stitched into fiber vessels.  I need them.  Like my Found Object Mandalas, my fiber vessels have been accepted into next November's Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show.

(Above:  Detail of In Box CDXVIII.)

Zigzag stitching yarn into cording is a rather monotonous task.  It is one of those things that can easily be interrupted.  Being alone and away make it possible to just stitch, stitch, stitch.  I do plan on blogging at least once while I'm there ... if for not better reason than to share the enormous stash!

(Above:  Detail of In Box CDXIX.)

From Pickens, I am going directly to a quilt guild in Seneca, South Carolina where I'll be providing a lecture and a two-day workshop.  I'm really thrilled that I can string these plans together (and save on gasoline).  It's going to be wonderful ... peace and quiet followed by fun with fiber friends.
 

2 comments:

Ann Scott said...

More beautiful pieces. Uninterrupted "stitch, stitch, stitch," sounds like a glorious time. I know you will make the most of it. Have a great time.

Margaret said...

Those are large works! And lovely, as usual. (grin) I understand about the framing situation too. My framer's been waiting months for the molding she uses for my work. Some of it found its way to LA (YES -- Los Angeles!) and had been sitting there for ages before the supplier tracked it down and bothered to communicate it to this little Canadian frame shop in central Alberta! Blessedly, I've not had a deadline to meet with my work -- just wanting it framed up so it could go in the gallery at that same shop. C'est la vie these days with supply chains!