Saturday, October 22, 2022

Mandala CXLI and CXLIII

(Above:  Mandala CXLI. Custom framed: 21" x 21".  Found objects hand stitched to a section of an old, tattered quilt.  Found objects include:  A hand mirror; four, brass door knob plates; Lincoln Logs; red checkers; loose paper binder rings; copper pipe straps; blue plastic lids; clock gear shaped buttons; buttons and beads.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Last weekend I cut up an old and very tattered quilt and stapled sections to various stretcher bars.  The smallest piece became Mandala CXL and I blogged it last Monday. During the week, I worked on three pieces, two of which used the same, tattered quilt as a substrata.  This post shows the results.

(Above:  Mandala CXLIII.  Custom framed: 29 5/8" x 29 5/8" when hung as a square and 42" x 42" when hung as a diamond.  Found objects hand-stitched to a section of an old, tattered quilt. Found objects include:  A decorate metal ring that was glued to a cheap glass container; four, brass discs that were part of a trophy; clock face and gear shaped buttons; four, brass knob plates; orange insulin syringe caps; ViewMaster reels; assorted, red bottle caps; eight hors d'oeuvres forks; buttons and beads.)

I've actually had the old quilt in my stash for several months.  Part of me didn't want to use it.  It was in really poor shape. Yet, part of me couldn't resist.  This is just the sort of old quilt that I love best.  I adore the brown fabrics, the pop of red and blue, and even the name of this pattern:  Bear Paws!

  

(Above:  The Bear Paws quilt used for three Found Object Mandalas.)

This old quilt is also the sort that has no other use.  It NEEDED a second life!  So despite the badly tattered areas, I stapled parts to stretcher bars and then cut remaining parts to layer on top of the places that were "really bad".  Like all of my Found Object Mandalas, I then put a layer of bridal tulle over the entire surface.  Even the areas where the real cotton (including seeds!) shows are protected by the bridal tulle.  The result worked well and I am pleased with these new additions to the series!  Below are a few more pictures!  Enjoy!

 
(Above:  Mandala CXLIII on pointe.  42" x 42".)

 
(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXLI.)
 
(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXLIII.)
 

No comments: