Saturday, October 08, 2022

Seventy Fiber Vessels

(Above:  A selection of fiber vessels.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

During my three week art residency at Catoctin Mountain National Park, I managed to zigzag stitch SEVENTY fiber vessels!  They are in every conceivable color.  No two are alike.  Often the interior is slightly different than the exterior due to the fact that I used a different color in the bobbin.  Some have very distinctive rims too.  Most are $65 plus South Carolina sales tax (even on out-of-state transactions ... because I live in a pesky state that insists on this!) plus shipping. 

(Above:  Ernie the Cat helping with the photography.)

Ernie the Cat was "so helpful" with the photography needs.  If the temporary/foam-centered walls weren't knocked down, the fiber vessels were displaced! LOL!  Yet with seventy individual photos needed, Ernie got bored ... thank goodness!

All these fiber vessels are headed to the upcoming Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show, November 11 - 13 where they will be in my booth ... #303 ... along with a selection of my Found Object Mandalas.  In the meantime, they have each been placed on an on-line listing.  Just CLICK HERE to access!  Purchasing is easy!  Just send me an email with your request:  mouse_house@prodigy.net or susan@susanlenz.com.

Last year's fiber vessels were described in great detail.  This was my attempt to identify each unique piece.  It meant googling for various shades of basically the same color.  Seriously ... I was looking for synonyms for "blue" ... like sapphire, royal, navy, aquamarine, cerulean, cornflower, azure, cobalt, slate, denim, Persian, steel, sky, ocean, turquoise, cyan, midnight, teal, indigo, etc.  Sure ... I know that these are all slightly different but man was it confusing!  So ... this year I decided to name each fiber vessel with a vintage/less popular/historic/obsolete female name!  It was so much fun!

 

I scribbled down a list which includes names like Evangeline, Salome, Rochelle, Eunice, Ekaterina, Dahlia, Imogene, Lydia, Hortense, Beulah, Daphne, and Lorelei.  As I snapped individual fiber vessels, I made a price tag using the names ... simply going down the list ... totally at random. 

I still have more names on my list ... and I still have more yarn in my studio ... and there's always the chance that I will start using masculine names too ... perhaps Willard, Darwin, Ephraim, Abel, Jasper, Baxter, and Sherman!  This could go on and on!  Also at random, I've attached a few of the fiber vessels that are now available!  Just scroll down!




 

No comments: