Saturday, January 14, 2023

Lost and Found IX

(Above:  Lost & Found IX.  Custom framed with found bottle caps. 23 3/4" x 23 3/4". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of an old applique quilt. Found objects include: A vintage hair brush and comb; yellow badminton shuttlecocks; a salad serving set; a tea leaf infuser; pink hair Spoolies; squirt guns; Atlas canning jar lids; souvenir spoons; green golf tees from Hawaii; butter knives; hair curlers; craft bees; woven beads; vintage brass embellishments; silver metal "boats" from buffet label holders; a compass motif belt buckle; gold beer bottle caps; green, plastic beverage lids; a fluted pastry wheel; buttons and beads. Click on any image to enlarge.)

The vintage, applique quilt on which this piece is stitched was sent to me as a donation to my stash.  Upon opening the box, I thought I couldn't use it.  It took time for me to wrap my head around the white background and the asymmetrical floral design.  All the old quilts I had used before this were pieced blocks.  Now ... I wish I had more of this quilt.  This is the last piece using that donation.  There's no more left, but I will keep an eye out for other promising appliqued quilts.  

(Above:  Detail of Lost & Found IX.)

The quilt influenced the selection of colorful objects.  In turn, the objects suggested a unique, bottle cap frame.  It was lots of fun to select green and red/pink lids to compliment the artwork!  Like many times in the past, several other pieces are coming to their last stitch.  I'll be blogging again very soon!

(Detail of Lost & Found IX.)
 

2 comments:

Ann Scott said...

At first look I couldn't figure out why this one felt so different to me. Reading cleared that up! It is a lively piece and neat that you could use that background quilt piece/s when at first you thought you wouldn't be able to.

JustGail said...

I've been peeking in on your work for a couple of years. Your use of life's bits & bobs, things most people would toss out is fascinating. I'd never think to use old hair perm curlers, bottle caps, canning lids, etc on a piece of art. Which is probably good - I don't need temptation to keep yet more stuff for "just in case" and "could be useful someday".
I'd love to see how you store it all!