Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Lost & Found X

(Above:  Lost & Found X. 22 1/2" x 30" including the artist-made frame with hand-stitched blue poker chips and buttons.  Found objects hand-stitched to a section of an antique crazy quilt under a layer of very sheer bridal tulle.  Found objects include:  Assorted, used paint brushes; yellow paper clips; keys; red and pink needle threaders; bottle caps; doll arms; cocktail forks; bread bag closures; a two-part vintage belt buckle; and buttons.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

I've had used paint brushes in my stash for months and months.  They were donated ... which is a good thing because I don't regularly use paint brushes.  But, every time I attempted to incorporate the brushes onto a Found Object Mandala, they didn't work.  There simply weren't enough to make a complete circle (or at least one that visually looked as if the brushes were mostly the same!)  Used paint brushes come in all sorts of sizes, different lengths, and with different colored handles.  Still, I wanted to use them.

(Above:  Detail of Lost & Found X.)

Finally, I had an idea!  I've started another, similar series called Lost & Found.   The pieces in this series are basically the same as my mandalas ... just the arrangement of objects isn't in concentric circles.  The first nine Lost & Found pieces were all square ... but why?  They didn't have to be square!  This one isn't!  It did, however, allow me to arrange some of the used paint brushes into a lovely lunette shape!

(Above:  Detail of Lost & Found X.)

I'm really pleased with the way this piece worked out.  I'm also pleased that I was able to use a section of a tattered antique crazy quilt.  Before stitching the objects in place, I covered the surface with a very sheer piece of dark bridal tulle.  The tulle protects the fragile areas and fabrics.  I spend several evenings adding more decorative stitching to the seams ... blending new stitches with old ones and quilting the tulle firmly to the crazy quilt.  I truly love giving "second life" to such precious fabrics!


 

1 comment:

Ann Scott said...

As always I enjoy the words as much and seeing the piece. The crazy quilt seems the perfect backdrop for the elements, but you always seem to select the best materials to coexist!