Monday, March 13, 2023

Wonderful time at Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge

(Above:  Selfie with Paul and Julia Graber's 1953 vintage airplane.)

The past week as artist-in-residence at Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge in Mississippi has been full of adventures and lots of unexpected fun.  First of all, I was invited to Julia Graber's farm for family pizza night.  Julia Graber is a seriously talented art quilter and JAM (Juried Artist Member) of SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) ... just like me!  Through this international organization, we got to know one another, and in 2019 Julia told me about the art residency program.  I applied and was accepted for 2020.  Of course, the entire world knows what happened in 2020!  The pandemic postponed the opportunity to 2021 and then to 2022 ... and finally now in 2023, I'm here!  It's been a long time waiting to meet Julia! 

(Above:  View to pilot Paul Graber and the earth below!)

I had no idea that in addition to farming several thousand acres of land, Paul Graber pilots his own 1953 vintage airplane.  I was treated to a great view of catfish farms, tilled soil, woodlands, and roads.  We took off and landed on a grassy strip right outside the Graber family home!

(Above:  Julia Graber cutting one of three deep dish pizzas with a pair of scissors!)

Julia's oak dining room table has enough extensions to seat nearly two dozen people.  Several children and their kids plus other guests arrived in time for absolutely delicious, homemade pizzas.  Because a rolling pizza cutter won't reach to the edge of her deep-dish pans, Julia slices with a pair of scissors.  We had a wonderful time talking about art and quilting.  Julia's studio is a real treasure filled with artwork.

(Above:  The gravel road atop Bluff Lake's north levee ... with an alligator!)

We also talked about my adventure ... walking completely around Bluff Lake.  I didn't intend to do this.  I thought I would walk to the end of the levee and return to my parked car.  The photo above shows the gravel road atop the lake's north levee.  The image was taken during my first week here.  When I saw the alligator ... a really big one ... I stopped in my tracks.  I watched it for a little more than twenty minutes while googling for information on alligators.  Believe it or not, alligators sleep for an average of seventeen hours a day.  They sleep with one eye open and part of their brain alert, never falling into a deep sleep (which might account for needed seventeen hours!) They are mostly nocturnal but also a little active in the day ... especially when coming out of their mud holes to bask in the sunshine.  In all the time I watched this alligator, it only moved its tail twice.  I gave up waiting for it to slip into the swampy water and turned back. 

(Above:  One of three BIG alligators ... the one who didn't really move while I walked down the gravel road!)

My thought was that if I returned on a grey, overcast, chilly morning, I wouldn't encounter an alligator and would get to the end of the levee.  I figured that instead of "basking in the warm sun" (since it was neither warm or sunny) would mean the alligators would be sleeping in their mud holes.  So ... I went last Thursday around 9:00 AM.  It was chilly.  The cloud cover was thick and it was almost raining.  Guess what?  I don't know the mind of an alligator regardless of my research.  I didn't encounter ONE alligator; I saw SEVEN of them.  Okay, two were tiny; two weren't more than four feet in length; but three of them were quite large!  I didn't see the first one until it moved ... sloppily slipping into the water.  It was about twenty yards away.  I jumped.  Then, the second one ... who was just a bit further down away.  It went into the swamp too.  I proceeded very cautiously, eyeing the places that these two alligators went into the water.  I tiptoed past this area ... but still looking in that direction ... so much so that I didn't look ahead ... until I was parallel to an even bigger alligator lounging by the water's edge.  The photo above shows that alligator.  It never moved.  My heart, however, almost moved into my throat!  Frozen, I didn't move either.  Finally, I took the picture above and very, very precariously continued down the gravel road. 

(Above:  The place in the trail where a creek crosses.)

At the end of the levee, I came to a fork in the road.  I didn't know where either trail went but I suspected that turning left would eventually bring me to a spot where I'd already been.  During my first week, I walked through the woods until I came to a place where a creek crossed the road.  I turned back. (By the way, all these roads are accessible to the refuge staff who have keys to the otherwise locked gates.  For the public, walking is the only way to go!)  So ... I walked on ... and sure enough, I was back at the creek flowing over the road.  I knew where I'd end up if I crossed.  I knew that if I crossed the creek, I'd add at least three more miles to my walk in order to return to my parked car.  I also knew that if I turned around, I'd have to walk by those alligators again.

(Above:  Looking down at my muddy feet!)

Going from stone to stone and stepping on a few fallen branches and leaves, I crossed the creek.  Apparently, I am willing to walk further and get muddy rather than coming close to an alligator!  Thank goodness.  It took another hour or so for me to walk back to the main road, pass the Cypress Overlook, pass the Visitor Center, walk over both the dam's bridges, pass the Beaver Dam Trailhead, pass the Bluff Lake Overlook, and get back to my car.  Basically, I walked entirely around the lake ... which according to the website is some 800 acres in size!  My Fitbit logged more than 17,000 steps!

(Above:  Alligator in Dickerson Arm)

Since then, I've seen several other alligators.  I guess I'm getting more used to them because this one didn't scare me at all.  It was in the marshy area near a field for geese and herons.  I'd walked there at least four other times.  Okay, it wasn't as big as the ones I encountered by the northern levee, but I was only about twelve feet away from it.  From what I understand, alligators lurk in all the water here in the refuge.  They are well camouflaged, don't bother people who aren't bothering them, and not prone to move much during the day.  I just walked by this one ... quietly!

(Above:  Studio visit with Joe McGown.)

I might be getting more comfortable with the knowledge that I might be walking past an alligator (some that I don't even notice!), but exploring nature isn't the only thing I've been doing.  I was treated to a studio visit with Joe McGown

(Above:  Selfie with friends at the Starkville Area Art Council.  From left to right:  Juliette Reid, program coordinator at SAAC; Joe Mulrooney, volunteer coordinator for Friends of Noxubee Refuge; me; and Mary Switzer, executive director at SAAC.)

I went to the public reception for the Spring Showcase exhibit at SAAC (Starkville Area Art Council).  On Monday, March 20th at noon, I'll be presenting a Power Point lecture on my Found Object Mandalas at SAAC.

(Above:  Selfie with members of the Golden Triangle Quilters Guild.)

I attended the monthly Sit-and-Sew with the Golden Triangle Quilters Guild.

(Above:  The monthly Oktibbeha Audubon Society's Bird Walk.)

I attended the monthly Okibbeha Audubon Society's Bird Walk and learned about how serious bird watchers document their field sightings.  It was remarkable.

I've also demonstrated my fiber vessels at the Mississippi State University's Idea Shop on Main Street in Starkville.  It was fun.  One of the people attending took a great video.  I posted it separately.  CLICK HERE to access.

(Above:  Morgan Hill Prairie Trail.)

I've hiked all the trails in this refuge ... and walked down several of the roads beyond the locked gates.  Morgan Hill Prairie trail took me to a totally different landscape with a great view to the lakes.

(Above: Scattertown Trail.)

Scattertown Trail wove up and down ravines and through woodlands.

Yet one of my favorite things to do is to get up for dawn and kayak on Bluff Lake.  The broken dock is like my own, private landing place.  It is off the area closed to the public.  Early morning light is amazing and the lake is generally smooth as glass.

From the lake, this is the view back to where my dock is.  If you enlarge this photo, you'll see a white sign on a cypress tree.  The dock is just to the left.  Truly, this is a slice of heaven.

I also walked in another wooded area with signs marking the section of the refuge that is closed to the public due to bald eagle nesting.  I couldn't see the giant nest but it is nice to know that somewhere, very close by, are baby eaglets!
I walked to another branch of the lake called Doyle Arm.  There are duck houses everywhere.  Although a refuge, this is also a place for hunters.  During hunting season, I'm sure it is different than the days I'm experiencing.  There are areas only for disabled hunters and other areas for waterfowl.  There are several check stations too.
Since it is not hunting season, the check stations are closed ... but outside one were all these deer hoofs.  Why?  I haven't the slightest idea.
I've walked by several hunters' blinds but even this unique "bud" lift which apparently can move a blind from place to place.
I've also found one of the weather data stations.  Below, are some of the nature pictures I've taken.  Enjoy!






3 comments:

Ann Scott said...

Oh my goodness, this is a spectacular post. Thanks again for sharing this adventure.

Sharon Cherry said...

Thanks for sharing. No wonder alligators live a long life for all the sleep they do. I enjoyed the article very much.

Christine said...

wonderful to go on your walks and see your views. Thank you so much for sharing it all with us.
xx