Thursday, April 06, 2023

Patchwork, a brand new and growing series!

(Above: Patchwork, a new series.  Twenty-nine individual pieces of assorted sizes.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Ever since I started stitching my Found Object Mandalas, I've had a mental dilemma with the quilting scraps that haven't been used.  After all, cutting up an old quilt into usable squares often results in scraps (especially since these quilts are the ones no one wants ... for good reasons ... like "the dog ate one corner" or it had huge stains, rips and tears, or exposed batting, etc.)  My concept has always been about "giving second life" to these materials. But my reality has been that the scraps were thrown away.  Some of these scraps were twelve to fourteen inches in width.  They just didn't lend themselves to being the foundation for a Found Object Mandala.  I felt horrible every time I gave up on the scraps and threw them out.  Guilt! 

(Above:  Patchwork ... as seen during Columbia Open Studios, April 1 - 2, 2023.)

Finally, an idea occurred to me!  This began my newest series, Patchwork.  Scraps are pinned together on recycled black industrial felt.  Fancy trim, old doilies, individual fabric yo-yos, and other old textiles are added.  Then, I hand-stitch them together.  Each piece was designed to fit on an old stretcher bar that was painted black.  Each piece was then tacked to the stretcher bar.  Excess felt was melted away using a soldering iron.  Most of the pieces can now be hung as a vertical or horizontal.

(Above:  Detail of Patchwork.)

Like most of my series, the initial plan was a culmination of several ideas colliding into one another.  Not only did I want to "give second life" to the old textiles, but I was looking for a way to use a stack of stretcher bars that were gathering dust in my studio.  Most of them came from auction.  I really didn't want them but they were on a table lot with something I did want.  At auction, the successful bidder is supposed to haul away everything in the lot (whether wanted or not!).  With over two dozen old stretcher bars "just sitting there", I needed to use them ... or throw them out ... which would have increased the guilt!  Surely I could figure out how to put the scraps and the stretcher bars together ... into "something" ... saving both of them ... turning the excess materials into art!

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

(Above:  An old quilt from auction ... purchased for six dollars.)

Right before going to Scottsdale to conduct a workshop, I bought this old quilt at auction (six-dollars).  It was in TERRIBLE shape.  There was even mildew ... but with this many blocks, I knew everyone in the workshop would have a similar surface on which to work.

(Above:  The blocks hanging on my clothesline.)

I cut the old quilt into blocks, washed them, soaked them overnight in diluted bleach, rinsed them, and hung them on my clothesline.  Some of the blocks were worse than others but twelve went to the workshop.

(Above:  Mandala CLV.  Framed:  12" x 12".  Found objects hand-stitched to one of the blocks.)

Most of the blocks did become a Found Object Mandala ... stitched by one of the workshop participants.  (CLICK HERE to see the blog post about the workshop ... called One Woman's Trash Transformed.  Several of the images depict the mandalas made in the workshop.) When conducting a workshop, I don't bring samples.  I teach by example ... which means that I have to stitch at least one of everything too.  Above is the piece I made.

 
(Above:  Detail of one of the pieces in Patchwork.)

Some of the more damaged blocks, however, had salvageable sections.  The photo above shows one of the centers stitched onto one of the scraps.  It also shows how I've been weaving embroidery floss to "repair" other damaged areas. 

 
(Above:  Detail of Patchwork.)

There's all sorts of other creative challenges in this new series. I've often put scraps together that don't actually look complimentary.  It is my job to integrate the diverse colors and design through stitching and by the textile embellishments ... like adding snippets from table runners or parts of crocheted doilies.

 
(Above:  Detail of Patchwork.)

I find myself pulling one color from one area to the next area ... and adding lots of running stitches.

 
(Above:  Detail of Patchwork.)

I've even cut a very, very well worn, blue-and-white crib quilt and layered it on a scrap from a crazy quilt.)

 
(Above:  Detail of Patchwork.)

The little Scottish man came from a damaged, souvenir handkerchief.  I think I'm going to be able to give "second life" to all sorts of handwork ... while keeping the scraps out of the trash, etc.  I'm quietly anticipating many hours of stitching, but that's not all.

 
(Above: Detail of Patchwork.)

In the convergence of ideas that started this new series was one more important element ... actually, a vision.  I'm supposed to be getting a contract for a solo show in 2024 for Once & Again: Alterations.  I met with the executive director and toured the gallery.  It has really high walls (as in almost two stories), excellent natural and gallery lighting, hardwood floors, and lots of space.  Instantly, I could see Patchwork meandering down the length of the walls ... a running, linear arrangement ... flexibly hung with only the sides abutting one another ... pieces moving up and down ... around the corners ... above and below other artwork in the next rendition of Once & Again: Alterations.  I'm guessing that I'll need at least one-hundred pieces/patches/irregular blocks, perhaps even more.  Patchwork could function as a way to unify all the work, a river of alterations running through the exhibit, a continuous line of "making do" and "using what is at hand" and "giving second life to old materials".   

 
(Above and further below:  Details from Patchwork.)

Like many of my installations, time will tell if my vision and the collison of ideas pan out ... but, in the meantime, I've got plenty of new work to create in hopes that "something wonderful" will come of this.





 

3 comments:

Kathleen Loomis said...

I love your idea of using the smaller and smaller pieces left over from previous projects. I have made a resolution to never buy any new fabric again, and am taking great pleasure in using scraps. I like your idea of embellishing them with stitching and bits from other textiles... it never has to end!!

SallytotheMax said...

I've been following your work for some time and this series is inspirational! If I understand correctly, your stretcher bars are without the canvas that is often used? I originally thought that you were framing the pieces within the work. The sides look more finished that I imagine stretcher bars to be. Kudos for your efforts in preserving the past.

Susan Lenz said...

Thank you Kathleen and Sally for your positive feedback. It really means the world to me! Sally ... yes ... the stretcher bars are without the canvas that was once attached. I simply painted them black! Yes ... Kathleen ... this never has to end!