Friday, June 30, 2023

More Pieces for my Patchwork Installation

(Above:  Tacking the pieces to previously black-painted frames.  The work above measures 18" x 23".  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Not all the pieces for my Patchwork Installation are as large as the one in the above image.  Some are only 8" x 10".  Most are somewhere in between, averaging 13" x 17" or thereabout.  My process is to first staple recycled, black industrial felt to a stretcher bar. (The felt was formerly the protective covering for a kayak or canoe while in transit from a manufacturer to my local outdoors shop.)  A bright yellow pencil line is drawn onto the felt ... around the black-painted frame ... establishing the perimeter of the final piece. Then ... leaving a half inch space between the scraps and the yellow line, I pin sections of quilts, lace, crochet doilies, upholstery trim, ribbon, bits of embroidery, and assorted textiles onto the felt ... constructing the piece.  Each piece is then hand-stitched together before being removed from the stretcher bar.  The half-inch border is important.  It allows me to tack the work inside the perimeter of the frame.  I have fourteen or fifteen different styles/colors of upholstery tacks, ordered from Lee's Decorative Showcase.  The excess felt is trimmed away using a soldering iron.  This process is not done one-at-a-time.  I generally construct at least ten pieces at a time.  I wait until they are all stitched before tacking them to their frames and melting away the excess felt.  Recently, I finished fifteen pieces.  The blog post shows most of them.  Unfortunately, I didn't notice the shadow of my own arm on some of the pictures ... but that's okay!  I'll do better with the next batch.  They are already being stitched!  More to come!  I'm closing in on my goal of one-hundred! 














 

3 comments:

Shannon said...

These are so fun! I've inherited some vintage (very vintage) applique blocks and pieced flower garden blocks my great grandmother stitched and I've been hanging onto them trying to think about how to incorporate them into a piece of work that feels like me. No luck yet, but I love all of yours. The layering is great!

Margaret said...

Fascinating! And what a powerful making "motor" you have!

Ann Scott said...

These series pieces are wonderful. Thank you for showing and writing about them. I never noticed your arm shadow, too much goodness on view to notice that!