Sunday, October 11, 2026

Mandala CCLXXXVII: Bird on a ViewMaster Reel with Dogs and the start of a new series called Curios

 

(Above:  Mandala CCLXXXVII: Bird on a ViewMaster Reel with Dogs.  Custom framed: 9" x 9".  Found objects hand-stitched to a section of an antique crazy quilt.  Objects include: Plastic bird on a yellow poker chip and a ViewMaster reel; rabies pet tags; plastic dogs; yellow game tokens; assorted buttons and beads. Click on any image to enlarge.)

Although I've been super busy creating new work for my booth at the Southern Highland Craft Show in Asheville ... non-Mandala pieces! ... I just had to put together this little mandala!  The bird and the dogs totally inspired it. After the show, Steve and I are headed to Vienna and Prague for a week!  I'm sure I'll return with lots of new ideas but also the desire to put together several new Found Object Mandalas.  I've got plenty of "new -to-me" objects just waiting for my attention.

(Above:  Curio I through VIII in order ... laying on the steps to my sanctuary/studio.)

Almost every evening, I've been stitching on a new little series that I've named Curios.  These are just little works that have filled leftover frames.  Because they are made using the same materials and techniques as my In Box and Fiber Stained Glass pieces that will be in my booth, they will be going to Asheville.  Making them is fun but also a way to calm my nerves!  Doing a high end craft show costs a lots of money:  booth rent, nights in a hotel/AirBnB, gas money, etc.  I always get nervous.  Thus, making these small affordable ($100) pieces keeps me calm.  Hopefully, some of these will find a permanent home and I'll not lose money!  Below are a few poorly taken photos of them!

 
(Above:  Curio I and II.)
 
(Above:  Curio III and IV.)
 
(Above:  Curio V and VI.)
 
(Above:  Curio VII and VIII.)






 


No comments: