Monday, October 22, 2018

Three completely different, new works

(Above:  In Box CCCXXII. Inventory # 4369. Framed:  25 1/2" x 37 1/2". $675.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

I haven't blogged since last Wednesday but I have been busy in my studio.  It is always a challenge to limit my palette.  Yet, I love all greens.  I thought about the environment while making this work.  Since all my "In Box Series" pieces are reflects of an urban landscape from an aerial point of view, I thought about Friedensreich Hundertwasser's ideas of planting grass on all roofs and keeping trees on balconies ... anything to lessen man's carbon footprint.  So, for me this piece is an ideal city, one in total harmony with nature. 

(Above:  Detail of In Box CCCXXII.)

The work is framed in a white-on-white presentation with crystal clear, anti-reflective, UV filtering glass.  It will be going with me to the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show.  I'm in booth 119.  The show runs from November 2 - 4.

(Above:  Lunette XXXIII.  Inventory # 4371. Framed:  22" x 28".)

After I've cut so many squares and rectangles for one of my "In Box Series" pieces, it is fun to switch gears and make one of my "Stained Glass Series" pieces.  The stylized tulip motif is one of my favorites.
(Above:  Sacred Heart Madonna.  Inventory # 4370.  Unframed:  19" x 15.  Framed: 27 1/2" x 23 1/2".  $295.)

Every evening finds me with a thread needle in my hand. Recently, I've been embellishing images transferred to fabric.  This particular shot came from the Pioneer Cemetery in Yuma, Arizona.  I had it printed by Spoonflower.  After basting it to a piece of recycled packaging felt, I free-motion machine stitched a few outlines.  Then the fun started.  The entire background is densely seed stitched.  The blossoms are all stuffed from the reverse to make them very dimensional. This is a fiber technique known as trapunto. Beads were added.  Finally, I pinned the work to a piece of acid-free foam-centered board and put it in this ready-made frame that was donated to me.  It simply worked out to perfection!

(Above:  Detail image, shot at a slight angle to show the dimensional quality.)

By this time next week, Steve and I will be getting ready to head north to the show in Philadelphia.  I'm getting nervous but equally excited!

No comments: