Friday, February 11, 2022

Peacock Feathers

 
(Above: Peacock Feather XXIX. Framed: 17 1/4" x 15 1/4"; unframed: 12 1/2" x 10 1/2".  Real peacock feathers on layers of fused polyester stretch velvet and under a ultra thin piece of a chiffon scarf.  Free motion machine stitched.  Melting techniques. Each piece is framed for $195.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Worlds have collided.  Okay ... that's an exaggeration but there are seemingly unrelated things in my life that are coming together in unexpected ways.  For example, Peacock Feathers!  I've been creating Peacock Feather artworks for a couple of years.  They've been long, skinny pieces featuring one, full peacock feather.  I've always used a dark olive polyester stretch velvet under an aqua piece with plenty of turquoise metallic foiling.  I've always used copper metallic squares around the perimeter.  I've done this so many times that this is the way I see peacock feathers ... always with turquoise and copper ... which is a lot like "blue and orange".  (Click HERE to see earlier Peacock Feathers.)

(Above:  Me holding one of the new Peacock Feathers.  Please know that I'll soon be blogging about both the large piece far behind me and the one with all eighty-eight Steinway piano keys.  Finished photos need to be taken but today isn't that day.  Today, we are getting new shingles on our garage roof.  I use the garage door for photography!)

Well "blue and orange" was recently the way I saw my In Box Series.  After successfully creating 145 "blue and orange" In Box Series pieces for a local hotel (which is nearing the end of construction!), I knew I needed to see things differently.  That's when I created a series using "blue with anything else".  I blogged them less than a month ago.  (CLICK HERE for that blog post.)  I thought I had my "color coordination vision" back to normal.  Then, the art consultant company ordered five more "blue and orange" pieces ... as "attic storage", things to replace one of the original 145 in case something happened.  I made them.  I was back to seeing "blue" always with "orange".  Something had to happen.

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXX.)

Something happened!  I was offered a solo show at a very upscale, local senior citizen complex.  Of course I said, "Yes!" even though this was to happen in April and even though the fancy venue with professional track lighting can accommodate just over SIXTY PIECES!  That's a lot of artwork!

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXI.)

April is already a very busy month.  I'll be at the Smithsonian Craft Show with my Found Object Mandalas.  Found Object Mandalas are also part of a solo show at Artisan on the Square in Greenville, Georgia.  Of course the dates overlap!  The first weekend is also Open Studios here in Columbia.  The second Sunday is another, local event: Melrose Art in the Yard Sale.  So ... please insert a touch of terrified sarcasm here ... why not do another solo show with almost sixty other pieces? 

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXII.)

It would be really nice to spread these opportunities out ... but that isn't within my control.  I either have to say "Yes!  I'll do that!" or "No! I'm not going to do that!"  After two years of this on-going pandemic, I'm much more inclined to say ABSOLUTELY!  I want to do that!  Besides, I have plenty of artwork in storage and I can make more! 

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXIII.)

So ... twenty-seven pieces from my Muses Series will be going to the retirement center.  I love this work.  I still love this work.  It was made back in 2011.  Originally, there were eighty-eight pieces.  Twenty-five were framed. Several pieces sold but eventually, they were all shrink-wrapped ... and perhaps waiting for this opportunity to go into frames again.  Yet, I need more artwork ... like the recently finished In Box Series pieces meant to "get me over thinking blue-and-orange."

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXIV.)

Yet, there are only twelve of these pieces.  More artwork is needed for the senior citizen center opportunity.  I looked around Mouse House and wondered about the frames on another series.  The Home Series was created when the pandemic shutdowns happened. As depressing as these works are, I knew none would sell ... and none sold ... but the frames could be used!

 
(Above: Peacock Feather XXXV.)

I looked closely that these frames.  They have a wide, bright silver metallic lip.  A thought occurred to me:  I could attempt to change the way I've always viewed peacock feathers!  No more aqua and copper!  I'd have to try different colors to work with this silver lip!

 
(Above:  Detail of Peacock Feather XXXV.)

The challenge was on!  I wasn't sure I'd like every one of the resulting ten works but I do!  I'm now more excited about peacock feathers than ever before!  (By the way, the Home Series is now shrink-wrapped!)

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXVIII.)

I even tried other variations on the theme of peacock feathers ... like two together or one with the non-eyed feathers.  It was fun!  Now ... why I made ten pieces when I only had nine frames?  I don't really know.  Apparently, I didn't count correctly when cutting the synthetic felt substrata.  No worries though!  I found another frame for the last one.

 
(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXVI.)

Still ... I'm short on the work for the senior citizen retirement center ... but I will figure something out!  I'm up for this challenge!

(Above:  Peacock Feather XXXVII.)

2 comments:

Ann Scott said...

Beautiful pieces! It's so great that more people will have an opportunity to see your artwork. I must admit to being exhausted after reading this post - you go, go, go. Looking forward to reading about the new mandalas.

Els said...

Wonderful feather pieces, Susan !
(hadn't read your post, because I always look at the pictures first, haha, and thought when I enlarged your photo . . . piano keys ???? Then later I saw I was right :-) !!!)