Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Lost and Found II

(Above:  Lost and Found II. 14" x 14".  Found objects hand-stitched to a block of a vintage Drunkard's Path quilt. Found objects include: an old linoleum cutter; a metal coaster; two telephone ringers; six, rusty stars; beads and buttons. Click on the image to enlarge.)

Lost and Found I was a surprising success when shared here on my blog and on social media. It gave me the confidence to say, "This will be a new series!"  Of course, this new series is totally related to my Found Object Mandalas.  Both include found objects hand-stitched to sections of vintage quilts.  Yet, this new series allows me to design without conforming to the concentric circles that make the resulting artwork a true "mandala".  It also allows me to use one-of-a-kind things.  Ordinarily, I need at least four objects (other than the center medallion!)

I knew that the second piece would have to feature the linoleum cutter.  I'd tried several times to use it as the center of one of my Found Object Mandalas ... but it never quite worked.  I got the thing while enjoying an art residency at the Rensing Center outside Pickens, South Carolina.  In town, Bivens Hardware is a true delight. It is an independent hardware store that has been in the same family for years and years.  When I was browsing through the aisles, pulling open various drawers, I found this odd piece of metal.  I asked the owner, "Is this for sale?  If so ... how much? And ... by the way ... what is it?"  He laughed and admitted not seeing it for decades.  "It's a linoleum cutter.  How about two dollars."  To me, it looks just like the profile of a dinosaur head ... which makes it perfect for the concept of "lost and found"!

The rusty stars are elevated from the background quilt by buttons underneath them. I am anxious to start the next piece in this series, to use some of my stash that is otherwise "not quite right" for a mandala!
 

2 comments:

Ann Scott said...

Looks like it's going to be another great series. Linoleum cutter - who'd a thought, and the perfect dino head profile. Bravo!

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

oh I love the story if that "cutter find" and yes it's lot the exact look of a skeleton head of something ancient...