Friday, March 18, 2022

Lost and Found ... perhaps a new series

(Lost and Found, 18" x 18". Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage, utilitarian quilt.  Found objects include: a hand mirror frame; two brass socket plates; assorted thimbles; brass screw eyes; two bors d'oeuvre forks; two, brown canoe-shaped cocktail stirrers; a copper brioche mold; several religious charms; two sunflower buttons; two different sets of locks; two inlaid backgammon pieces; buttons and beads; and other assorted items in a tack embellished custom picture frame. Click on image to enlarge.)

Perhaps this is the start of a new series, something related to my Found Object Mandalas ... but not designed using concentric circles.  Perhaps not.  Time will tell.  It always does.  All I know right now is that I felt totally compelled to stitch this piece.  The hand mirror frame was just so intriguing.  It seemed "perfect" for a Found Object Mandala even though it clearly wasn't perfect.  It doesn't conform to a nice, round centerpiece and I certainly didn't have four of them.  I generally need at least "four things" in order to use them outside the center circle.  The four, spiral-ended metal pieces (of totally unknown function) came with the hand-mirror.  As soon as I lay them on the table, I could mentally "see" the design.  

The idea came together within minutes and the entire piece took less than a day. My husband Steve thinks it might be "too busy".  It might be.  Many people have tried to tell me that "less is more".  I generally nod, as if agreeing.  The little voice speaking from the back of my brain reminds me that "more is also more" ... and doesn't need a lofty, art-ease explanation.  

I am certainly from the "more is more school of art" but still not sure whether this is the start of something or simply a fun "one off".  Time will tell.  I always does!


4 comments:

Margaret said...

I like it! I too have no clue about those four spiral things, except that they rather resemble candy canes now that they're stitched down. ;-) But the eye hooks! I use those on the ends of the dowels I include with my soft pieces, for hanging. I'm surprised anyone gave those up!

Ann Scott said...

So darn clever, every bit of it!

Susan said...

Maybe Lost & Found is taking you on a new journey not being as symmetrical as you would like? I immediately saw a spring flower pushing through the earth...it's beautiful!

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

I agree with Susan, a single but rather large flower...