Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Mandala CXXIV

(Above:  Mandala CXXIV. Custom framed: 30" x 30" when hung as a square; 43" x 43" when hung as a diamond. Found objects hand-stitched to the center of a vintage, applique quilt.  Found objects include:  a stainless trivet; a brioche mold; a red Tinker Toy connector; green, lilac, and red, plastic bottle caps; gold flatware; clamps for fluid/IV type bags; wavy hair curlers; jingle bells; four white-and-red toy wheels; white, leaf-shaped party favor containers; expired medical devices in clear/green plastic containers; four, gold shank buttons; assorted flat buttons.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

One of the most amazing things about my Found Object Mandala Series is the generosity of others.  People have sent all sorts of things, even vintage quilts.  This quilt came to me in the mail from a kind lady who was down-sizing before moving to another state.  The quilt was something her mother bought and passed down.  It had a label with an embroidered date: 1965.  Over the years, this quilt had to been well loved; it was well worn.  Thankfully, I put a layer of bridal tulle over all my Found Object Mandalas.  Thus, the frayed parts are protected.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXXIV.)

Yet, the quilt is not the only thing that was donated to my creative endeavors.  I was given the red Tinker Toy connector, the four toy wheels, the brioche mold, all the plastic bottle caps, and the unusual "green things".

(Above:  Clamps for fluid/IV type bags sent to me by my cyber friend Ann Scott.)

The "green things" came from my cyber friend Ann Scott.  I had to write to her and ask what they were.  All I knew was that they were a gorgeous green that added so much to this piece!

(Above:  The clamps for fluid/IV type bags ... in use!)

Ann sent the photo above.  Now ... how cool is that? !!!  (By the way ... I've got more of them!)

(Above:  Detail of Mandala CXXIV.)

Ann sent these "green things" recently.  My friend Nancy Cook, however, sent the white, party favor containers months ago.  I'd tried to use them several times but they were simply "too white".  Sure, I could have painted them but I sensed that there would come a better piece in the future.  This was definitely it!  (And ... I've got more of them too!)

(Above:   Mandala CXXIV, hung as a diamond.)

Despite having a nice stash of found objects for future Found Object Mandalas, I will not be stitching on a new one for more than a week.  Why?  Well ... half of them are headed to Artisans on the Square in Greenville, Georgia for a solo show.  They get delivered on Saturday.  The other half are headed to next week's Smithsonian Craft Show, April 20 - 24, in Washington, DC.  Steve and I will be using this week to build crates to transport the artwork safely.  We are also tying up some of the loose ends to other, major projects.

(Above:  Me with the 150 original fiber artworks for the individual guest rooms at the Columbia Cambria Hotel which is currently finishing up construction and heavily into completing each and every room!)

Just this morning, Steve and I delivered my 150 framed, original guest room pieces to the Columbia Cambria Hotel.  There's more to come regarding my creative involvement with this project ... and I'm excited!  So far ... April has been busy and promises more of the same!

2 comments:

Sherrie Spangler said...

I love this piece, especially the gold flatware. The objects you acquire are so interesting!

Ann Scott said...

Another amazing piece. I like how light and airy this one feels and I love how you used the party favor containers. Kona the cat and I are happy you could use the green clamps. Thanks for the mention too. I'm excitied to hear and see more about the Columbia Cambria Hotel project. All the best to you and Steve.