Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Gold Rush!

I went to the Sutter Creek Gold Mine and took a tour with two families. I really wasn't that impressed. Maybe this is because I've been through the Salt Mines outside Salzburg, fantastic tour that lasted more than a half hour. The gold mine guide was very knowledgeable and we saw a "safe" chamber, an old drill, rode on an open rover through some tunnels, and took a flight of stairs. Yet, there wasn't much to look at, there wasn't any gold, and it took no time at all. I found the old, rusted machinery outside the Angels Camp Museum much more interesting. In fact, much of the Mother Lode area of California shows the signs of the Gold Rush days. Corroded equipment is visible in every community. All the little museums had their share of mining artifacts. I thought the textures and complicated gauges looked quite artistic. These are a few of the photos I took.







No comments: