Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend 2007




The weekend started with a ballet recital at Keenan Theater. We went to see Claire Yaghjian, the Kana kids, and several other local students dance. Willie Moore, who isn't a student and doesn't take class at the studio presenting the show, also danced. He was the high-light of the evening, performing the male variations from Diana and Acteon and Flames of Paris. He is getting ready for a guest dancing opportunity this summer. Nancy Kana is now a college student but still returns to Anita Ashley's dance school. I don't know why she doesn't switch to the quality dance program at USC. William Kana can not dance ballet at all, but he's a very fine, tall tap dancer. It is still a little strange to think back over the years to when none of these kids were born. Tim Kana, William's dad, hired Steve as a senior scientist in his civil engineering company. We moved to Columbia. Steve hated consulting and joined me in our framing operation. The Kanas became clients. Now, we them at our children's dance performances. Claire Yaghjian was very pretty was still not really given a good part on pointe. Overall, the show was fairly poor but enjoyable enough.

On Saturday, Steve and I headed to Charleston where we restocked our area at Terrace Oaks Antique Mall. From there we went to Edisto Island for the artists' reception of the Frolics, Romps, and Rolicks: Dances for the Lighthearted show featuring Janet Kozachek and me. The owner cleared the walls in one room and hung our work. Lots of other art filled the tables and shelving units, art bins, and other areas of the room. Three dancers from the local Fred Astaire studio demonstrated a few ballroom moves. Wine was served. There were about forty or so people in attendance. Nothing sold from the "show", as far as I know. It was nice but it isn't the type of show I really want for my work in the future. Sure, the gallery is designed to SELL stuff...mostly art but also plenty of souvenir items from this resort island and plenty of mass produced things bought at a wholesale market. Everything was the way it was suppose to be. Everyone was pleasant. I'm almost embarrassed, however, to write that I WANT MORE!

On Sunday, Steve, Alex, and I headed north to Huntington, West Virginia. We arrived in time to go to dinner at Great Aunt Janet's plush retirement community's dining room. It was quite lovely. Aunt Janet is now 93 and gets around with only a walking cane. She's sharp, spirited, and in very good health. She's a real treasure. On Monday, we all went to Wal-Mart and bought dozens of cut flowers for the cemeteries. All in all, we went to three and placed arrangements on several relatives' gravestones. We made it back home in time for a late dinner.

4 comments:

Alis Clair said...

Gosh what a shock!
When I scrolled down your page I thought I saw my late Nana smiling back at me!
Gosh your Aunty Janet is so like her ;0)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for all your art in pictures for us. It was so good to see you and your family last weekend. Hope you have a wonderful time (Know that you will!)with Mathias. Love, Mom and Dad

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cyber Fyber said...

Dear William,
This is my opinion. I'm entitled. This is not libel. I've seen enough ballet to have this opinion. You are a talented tap dancer. Stick to it. By the way, if you want someone to take you seriously, try signing your name or leaving an email address.
Susan