Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Screen printing: The Second Class



Having finished our "homework", Mathias, Alex, and I were ready for our second class at Half and Half Designs. Alex traced designs from a child's coloring book. I used one of my digital images of a Pre-Raphaelite inspired stained-glass window in the Birmingham Art Museum. Only Mathias drew a design free-hand, an illustrated word, IRAQ.

I brought along some decorative papers, including antique end papers from an early nineteenth century book. The image here is my design on this paper. We were thrilled with the process, the class, and are looking forward to next week. Our assignment is to be prepared to create a two-color edition.

I've posted more photos on my "family blog".

5 comments:

Dianne said...

I think it's wonderful that you and your sons are doing this together. What an artistic family you are!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Susan! I'm back and of course thought of you often while over there (esp. when in Italy!!)..we had a great group and a good summer (one 1 trip to the hospital...and only for hives-no broken bones-YIPEE). Hope all is well...checked out the FamilyBlog and loved all the photos... PURPLE ice cream (Alex) - what flavor!! Hope all is well...I'm getting back into the swing of things ! I'll write more later! Love to all! Sonya

Alis Clair said...

Great to see you all enjoying this together.
Great piece Susan.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Hugs, Alis

Anonymous said...

Hey Sue..I think I did print screening a long time ago. Do you remember what it was called? I "designed" a church bulletin...I think it was for Easter...at the Presbertyrian church (can't spell that one for the life of me)...I think it had maybe three colors. Do you remember that? Maybe you were already gone. I was just trying to figure out if this is the same type of thing as that. Still can't find that thread so I can finish my blackwork piece. It is SO CLOSE to being done. I bet I only have 2 more weeks of work after I get that thread! What a bummer!!

Nikki said...

I'm excited about the idea of doing a class together with my kids some day. For now coloring ang glueing anything mommy is willing to share from her stash will have to do.