Wednesday, August 22, 2007

What I Did Do!



Here are some of the things I did get done this past weekend. Above is a collage I made by transferring my digital images onto an 8-ply board. I sort of "lost" the focal point along the way but revived it with a transparency which I made after reducing the picture to mere black and white outlines. I even included a scrap from one of my embellished "backgrounds". I've never quite made a collage in this way and am quite pleased with this one.



Above is the detail. Below is my only "background" from last week. It is also my first attempt to make "paper fabric". Early 19th century German book pages and marbleized paper are in all this. It was rather difficult to photograph, especially since it is about 22" x 28". I nailed it to a wall trying to avoid the glare from the metallic golden paint. I really liked making it and have already started several small pieces of "paper fabric".



The two final pictures are of "Tropical", a piece of hand embroidery on purple craft felt. Actually, the felt was the "leftovers" from some of my "In Box" series. When I melt away the In Box, there are scraps of lacy felt remaining on the stretcher bars. This is what I used...plus some dyed mulberry bark and metallic foiling. I applied a coat of GAC 400 by Golden to the back of the piece. It worked like a charm. All thread ends are quite firmly attached; not one could possibly unravel. Also, the piece has a nice stiffness. I attached a wire to the back. It hangs on a wall perfectly.


7 comments:

Doreen G said...

Wow Susan these three pieces are great--especially the bottom one which is very organic--the texture is fantastic--well done.

Annica said...

I can not tell you how much I love your collage! It's just wonderful!

Alis Clair said...

Love all the pieces Susan but that collage is fantastic.

arlee said...

Aha! Stretcher bars! I wondered how you would do sucjh large pieces so evenly and not destry the tension--thank you!

Sounds like your month of backgrounds was a good thing after all, resulting in a positive mood and much productivity:}

Nikki said...

I've really enjoyed your posts. I keep trying to make an intelligent comment, but my kids seem to become very needy when I'm on the computer. Just know that I am digesting what you have written.

Unknown said...

It looks really great!!!!!I love the texture in the last one.

Deb Hardman said...

Your textures are lovely. The kind of things that I wish I could study up close in person.