Thursday, May 08, 2008

Workshop for MAT Program at Lander University

(Click on any image to enlarge. PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE IN THE NEW CAROLINA "idea" CONTEST. CLICK HERE and select the very last selection in the list....this is for possible funding for CYBER FYBER!)



I spent yesterday with a group of talented young art educators finishing the MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) program at Lander University in Greenwood, South Carolina. These six students graduate at the end of the summer and most already have contracts to enter the public school system as new "art teachers". Considering I don't have a single academic class in either "art" or "education", it is truly my honor to conduct a fiber workshop. This is the third time I've done so...and each visit renews my faith that South Carolina is producing wonderful art teachers.






The workshop introduced several fiber techniques and materials: using previously painted heat-activated adhesive (WonderUnder/Bond-a-Web); using heat activated metallic foil; melting synthetics with a soldering iron; free motion machine embroidery; using the embellisher; xylene transfers on fabric; color transfers using Sheer Heaven paper; hand stitching; and proper mounting and matting for fibers.







I had a great time too....and started three small pieces!

2 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

This looks fantastic fun, I'd love to do your workshop. (by the way I have voted for cyberfyber)

Wanda said...

I would love access to workshops like this! What a great way to see new things and even try them out! Well...tomorrow is fly day! Will be in Pittsburgh about 730pm. When are you guys coming? Wow...this is so wild!!! We are so excited!!!