Thursday, June 19, 2008

Standing Up for Peace


(Click on image to enlarge. 24" x 33" unframed. Xylene transfer on tea-stained muslin.)
Yesterday I finished Standing Up for Peace, the newest piece in my "Decision Portraits" series. I intended to embroider the words "Standing in Silence" and call it Women in Black; but, their sign was perfect. I didn't intend to use buttons and thought the work was done several days ago; but, I accidentally dribbled fuchsia ink on it. Discharge paste almost "fixed" it. The buttons worked and I like it even better. I even used my TAST stitch, the buttonhole around the aluminum washers! TAST is already making me think about how I use "stitch"...opening my eyes to new possibilities!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes!!!! Standing up for peace!!!! I love it!!! What a great theme!!

Julie said...

Great piece Susan! I'm on the TAST journey too :)

Guzzisue said...

love the use of the buttons as well. I'm busy on the detached chain stitch for TAST as I read my morning blogs :-)

Wanda said...

The buttons work perfectly. Maybe there really are no "accident dribbles". I don't quite get how you are going to display these pieces. they are so beautiful and powerful.

SONYASPHERE said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN!!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, SUSAN!!!!