Friday, April 03, 2009

Decision Portrait Series: On Fighting Ovarian Cancer


(Above: On Fighting Ovarian Cancer, Decision Portrait Series. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. 25" x 19", unframed. 31" x 25" framed. Stitched words: I chose the most aggressive treatment and Ovarian Cancer Stage IIIc Survivor. Hand beading and embroidery. Click on image to enlarge.)

Creating this portrait has been an adventure for me. I really didn't know much about ovarian cancer other than that it killed Gilda Radner. Linda Lynch has educated me during our collaborative process of selecting the perfect photo and stitched words. The result is a portrait that addresses the "silent killer" with hope and the resolve of Linda's important decisions. She endured lots of pain, the loss of hair, plenty of fear, and mental anguish. She turned her life over to God, prayed, and fought for her recovery every step of the way. The photo was taken at her doctor's office right after she received the word that the two hundred biopsies from the "second look" surgery had all come back NEGATIVE! Her hair was just starting to grow back. That was ten years ago! I hope that people viewing this artwork see the possibility of survival. I hope that it triggers awareness. To that end, here's a link to the National Ovarian Cancer Coalition. I've linked the page describing early symptoms; it's worth a serious look. Why? Well...here's the link to the statistics; cold hard facts about a cold-hearted killer.

(Above: Detail of On Fighting Ovarian Cancer. Click on image to enlarge.)

Doing something about ovarian cancer is a very good idea. Linda, a talented fiber artist, is currently participating in an important fund raiser called Ties that Bind. Recently I was given an opportunity to participate in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun", a charity art event on May 14 benefiting ovarian cancer research and patient assistance. I'm very much looking forward to this way for me to contribute to this important cause. I'm also looking forward to meeting Linda. Later this month she's coming to North Carolina and I'm driving up to meet her. I'll blog about this too!

7 comments:

Magpie's Mumblings said...

I know I don't comment very often Susan, but I want to say how very important I think this series is - not necessarily because of this particular piece, but because each and every one has a great message. Your treatment of each circumstance is so thoughtful. I do hope your ultimate aim is to have them on display where the world can see (perhaps a book???).

Wanda said...

Wonderful addition Susan. I totally agree with Magpie's Mumblings....this series needs world wide recognition. It speaks to every single person. Every single portrait is important. I love the detail on Linda's...like the necklace. Beautiful.

lindacreates said...

I am so proud to be part of your Decision Series. Thank you for bringing awareness to ovarian cancer Susan. I can't wait to see the portrait in person and meet you!

Jen Crossley said...

Oh Susan,you brought tears to my eyes,That is my sis Linda ,she inspires me everyday,Im so proud of her fight to live and live she has.Your Decision series is a true inspiration,you work is so very powerful
Jen

Kris said...

This is truly wonderful in so many ways! I hold hope that this will get the attention it needs and deserves.

Nancilyn (Fiberdabbler) said...

I came here to see your portrait of Lynda. It is a powerful projection of the woman and her cause. You truly captured the essence of Lynda's joy of survival.
I am completely awed by the scope of your Decision project. I was moved by each of the completed portraits to date and have subscribed to your blog feed so I will not miss future creations.
I wish you and Lynda continued success.

Terri said...

go on thriving beyond your surviving!