Thursday, June 18, 2009

Take Ye Heed, Grave Rubbing Quilt Series


(Above: Take Ye Heed, Grave Rubbing Quilt Series. Crayon on fabric rubbing collaged with vintage and assorted lace and linens. Hand and free motion machine embroidery. Words: Take Ye Heed. Watch and Pray for ye know not when the time is. Mark XIII. Click on image to enlarge.)

Yesterday I finished the newest piece in the Grave Rubbing Quilt Series. Unfortunately, I forgot to snap a shot of the reverse which once was a card table/bridge tablecloth. The rubbing was made in the old Warstone Lane cemetery in Birmingham, England. Most of the linens and lace were from my "stash" (which is starting to dwindle! Yikes!) The two hand dyed pieces of lace were a gift from Linda Lynch. I hope she likes how I've put them to use!


(Above: Detail from Take Ye Heed. Click on image to enlarge.)

Tomorrow Steve and I are off to Washington, DC. That's several wonderful hours to stitch on the next piece in this series!

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Very nice. The detail, when you click to enlarge, is awesome. This is such a profound series.

lindacreates said...

Beautiful Susan! I love how you used the lace pieces, they look lovely. I will send you some more, dyed in some light vintage colors if you like. Please send me your address! I want to gather my fabric and go visit the local cemetery.