Tuesday, November 17, 2009

TEXAS....WE WILL COME!


(Above: The final chapter of my recent The Artist's Way group....going around the table from the front left to the front right....Margaret Nevell, Kristine Hartvigsen, Kim Bendillo, me, Gita Larson, Kay Reardon, Regan Regan, Dolly Patton, and Doni Jordan....only one person was missing!)

This past week has been a whirlwind of activity. Steve and I are almost ready for tomorrow morning when we pick up the 12' long Penske rental truck, load Blues Chapel, and head out to Denton, TX! Blues Chapel will be installed on Friday. I'll give a "talk" to the museum docents and then a Power Point presentation to the area fiber artists/public on Saturday. The opening reception is on Sunday. Then we head back to Columbia. (I'll have blog updates! Quite exciting!)

While we're gone, the annual fall kick-off to the holiday season, Vista Lights, will take place. Every year the downtown galleries and retail businesses stay open late, throw art receptions, and light the big, outdoor Christmas tree. Gervais Street, the "main drag", is shut for pedestrian traffic and Gallery 80808/Vista Studios (where my studio is located) is crowded with people from 5 - 10. The thirteen artist with studios at Gallery 80808/Vista Studio mount a group show. I have five pieces from my Decision Portrait Series in the show (below). Dolly Patton and Margaret Nevell, two of my friends who just complete the Julia Cameron's 12-week The Artist's Way art adventure with me, is manning my studio.

(Above: Solidarity. Decision Portrait Series. 31" x 25", framed. Words: I shave my head to support those with breast cancer. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin, assorted threads, ribbon, beads. Hand stitched and beaded. Click on image to enlarge. )

Mentioning The Artist's Way, I recently facilitated a group and we just finished the final chapter yesterday evening. This is my second time through the book. The first time was MIRACULOUS! Through the process, I learned to claim my artistic dreams, believe in myself, and start to live everyday as an ARTIST! It changed my life. This new experience has been much more subtle but equally significant. I recommend the book most highly.....not to "read" but to "live". I wouldn't have believed that I could come so far in just the past five years....but I have....and I'm going further! Thank you Julia Cameron!

(Above: Recycler. Decision Portrait Series. 31" x 25", framed. Words: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle; Think Green. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin, recycled soda tabs, beads, clipped magazine letters. Hand stitched and beaded. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Patriot, Decision Portrait Series. Framed, 31" x 25". Xylene photo transfer on tea stained muslin. Hand beaded and stitched. Stitched words: I decided to serve my country. Marine LCpl. Born July 26, 1984. Entered Jan. 12, 2004. Killed in Action Mar. 14, 2005. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Muslim, Decision Portrait Series. Stitched words: I Forgive Those Who Look at Me with Hate. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand beaded and stitched. 31" x 25", framed. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Living with HIV, Decision Portrait Series. Stitched words: Didn't always practice safe sex. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. 25" x 19", unframed. 31" x 25", framed. Hand beaded and stitched. Click on image to enlarge.)

2 comments:

Wanda said...

Hey! Isn't it strange how sometimes everything happens all at once? I know you like being home for the Vista Lights. You've been doing that for years. And it's so great that you have friends who will man your studio. Your "Decisions" series is such an important thing. It speaks to all of us. No, we don't all face the decisions depicted in each piece, but we all face decisions in our lives. The "point" of your series is so powerful and speaks loudly and clearly in each piece. I hope Steve has the appropriate music picked out for the truck ride to Texas!!!

EmandaJ said...

Hello Susan,

I enjoyed your talk today here in Denton. I had read this blog back to the beginning the other day when I heard you would be in town, so I was so very pleased to get to see your wonderful graverubbing series in person. (I'm the Medievalist in your audience). I would love to blog about that series and your exhibit. My I use an image from your blog? Maybe a small detail?

Emanda
ArtemisiaStudio.blogspot.com