Friday, October 01, 2010

Teaching at Lander University


(Above: Me teaching the "Four Family of Stitches" for the MAT Program at Lander University. Click on image to enlarge.)



On Wednesday I had the distinct honor of sharing my sketchbooks and fibers with the MAT (Master of Arts in Teaching) students at Lander University. Eleven of the twelve adult students already have art degrees. By this time next year, they'll be in the public schools as art teachers. My job was to introduce fibers and show how I "archive ideas" through sketchbooks and journal writing.



I brought a small hands-on project: creating a miniature art quilt. Ink-jet prints of my African mask images on Sheer Heaven paper were transferred to muslin and used for the top layer. Recycled felt was the batting. A piece of batik or another layer of muslin became the back. I brought plenty of beads and buttons for embellishments.



These students will be presenting another project at an upcoming, statewide conference for art teachers. It is in Columbia. The conference includes an evening when attendees can visit the working studio of local artists.....like me! So....I'll be seeing them again!



Today I'm headed to Charleston for "First Friday". Five of my "Angels in Mourning" pieces are part of a show at Nina Liu's and Friends on State Street, opening tonight. Tomorrow is my "artist lecture" at City Gallery at Waterfront Park. I'm a little nervous....but prepared!

1 comment:

Jane LaFazio said...

great great lesson for those soon to be teachers!