Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas vacation in the studio


(Above: Window XXII. Unframed 11" x 9"; Framed 17 3/4" x 15 3/4". Click on image to enlarge.)

This is the first Christmas that Steve and I have spent by ourselves. Our elder son, Mathias, stayed in Great Britain, visiting his girlfriend's family. Although our estranged child Alex did manage to visit briefly and there were several great telephone conversations with other family members, Steve and I had a fantastic few days alone. It was like a wonderful, quiet Christmas vacation. I went to my studio ... the place on earth I enjoy the most. It was peaceful and perfect. I was productive and happy. We will be heading north on Wednesday to spend a long New Year's Eve weekend with my parents in Slippery Rock. We are going to the "Silvester" celebration in Harmony, PA. (That's the German name for New Year's Eve!)

S0....here's what was accomplished in the past few days...when I have nothing but glorious, uninterrupted time for art!


(Above: Lancet Window II. Unframed 28" x 8"; Framed 31 1/2" x 11 1/2". Click on image to enlarge.)


(Above: Lancet Window III. Unframed 28" x 8"; Framed 31 1/2" x 11 1/2". Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Lancet Window IV. Unframed 28" x 8"; Framed 31 1/2" x 11 1/2". Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Lancet Window V. Unframed 28" x 8"; Framed 31 1/2" x 11 1/2". Click on image to enlarge.)

So....This is a new size for my faux-stained glass fiber pieces. It was a size sort of suggested by my mother for a special location in her log cabin home .... between two story high windows overlooking her lake. That's why Lancet Window I isn't posted. It's her Christmas gift. She knows it is coming .... but she'll have to wait to see it in person! I'll post images later.

A lancet window is, according to an on-line dictionary: a tall narrow window with a pointed arch at its top. It acquired the "lancet" name from its resemblance to a lance. Instances of this architectural motif are most often found in Gothic and ecclesiastical structures, where they are often placed singularly or in pairs.


(Above: Window XXIII. Unframed 11" x 9"; Framed 17 3/4" x 15 3/4". Click on image to enlarge.)

I also finished Window XXII (first photo in this post) and XXIII. With all this work, I've run out of several supplies including 100% black cotton quilting thread and Wonder Under, especially the "previously painted" Wonder Under (also known as Bond-a-Web). So, I've been shopping and painting!


(Above: Yards of painted Wonder Under on the hallway floor just outside my studio door on a perfectly quiet Christmas Day!)

I've been thinking about New Year's Resolutions too but haven't quite settled on which one(s) to concentrate!

6 comments:

Elizabeth said...

OH SUSan!! Such incredible and glorious work!!! I can't get enough of looking at them theya re so glorious!! I so wisht ath I could take a class with you and learn this process it looks so very intricate and complicated!!! i just love it so!!!

I think that your mom is on to something!! tall and thin pieces can be tucked into some unusual spaces!! I would lvoe to se ea picture of it once it is hung in it's new home!!! Uninterrupted time to create is a true gift for yourself!! I ams o glad that you and Steve had sucha nice Christmas together!! I ahve not forgotten a btu the fcca MEMBERSHIP THAT i AM SENDING TO YOU. Just unearthed it in gettign ready for holiday entertaining!! have a wonderful New Year in PA travel safe!! Happy Artful and Healthy New Year to you!@@@
Hugs!
Elizabeth

Julie said...

Sounds like an idyllic Christmas and I'm glad Alex called by. The Lancets are beautiful, I'm sure your Mum will love hers. I hope you have a safe journey and a great New Year celebration. x

Anonymous said...

Congratulacions! What a wonderful works!!!!!! Crystina

Ro Bruhn said...

Wow I've just discovered your blog again Susan. Your work is incredible, I hope you don't mind but I gave you a mention on my blog. Your technique is amazing, such intricate detail and so inspiring.

Heather said...

I found you via Ro Bruhn and what a treat I have had, browsing through your previous posts too. Your window series is stunning - such gorgeous colour and detail, and yet they still manage to be soothing and very inspiring. Your mother will be so thrilled with her window. Happy New Year.

Gisela Towner said...

Belated Weihnachtsgrüsse and a Happy New Year to you Susan.

I haven't been here to visit for a bit and...Holy Cow!!! You must be the hardest-working woman in fiber art. Your undertakings seem so massive and wonderful.

Just wow.