Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Back to work!

My time in Pennsylvania and England went by so quickly. I shared lots of photos on "My Family Blog". Click HERE to access the post.


(Above: Father's Day in Foxburg, PA. Left to right: My Dad, my husband Steve, my Mom, my youngest sister Sonya and her husband Vipin, my sister Wanda, and me.)

In a nutshell, we celebrated Father's Day in Foxburg ... riding segways. It was a blast!


(Above: The Weaste Cemetery outside Manchester, England.)

I flew to England on Monday and spent Tuesday in Manchester, England ... checking out the Weaste Cemetery and making grave rubbings at the parish church in nearby Bury. I took the train to Birmingham later that night.


(Above: Laura-Jane and Mathias in their costumes for BRB's Carmina Burana.)

In Birmingham, I was treated to three performances (out of six) of Birmingham Royal Ballet's Carmina Burana (choreography by David Bintley, Artistic Director). My son Mathias danced the role called "Boiling Rage". He was one of three fallen seminarians featured in the piece. It was AWESOME. Laura-Jane, Mathias' talented girlfriend, was in every show. Each time meant five costume changes. Undoubtedly, her favorite was the one above! The usually subdued English audiences were quite responsive ... giving standing ovations.


(Above: Two Hours at the Beach, art quilt made of trash collected during a two hour period at Folly Beach outside Charleston.)

While away, I learned that Two Hours at the Beach was accepted into Art Quilts Lowell 2011: The Sea, a juried show in Lowell, Massachusetts at the Brush Gallery. This exhibit is part of the Lowell Quilt Festival. I'm thrilled with this news! (To read the blog post with several detail images, click HERE.) Soon I'll have images of several new works. None are quite finished; all are managing to get done at the same time. I don't know why this happens. Nor do I know why there seems to be three weeks of work piled up waiting for my attention when I was only gone for less than two weeks!

3 comments:

Julie said...

Congratulations on your quilt being juried into the Show! Sounds like an amazing vacation all round. I'm glad we Brits were moved to a standing ovation :-)

Lynn Cohen said...

Bravo on the quilt making it into the show. I am not surprised!!! And am glad for you!!!

You must be so proud of your talented son.
Fun to imagine you all on the Segways, you look cute in the helmets!!!! ;-) Glad you had such a good time; and yes, vacations end too soon.

lynda Howells said...

So sorry we couldn't arrange to meet but next time l promise. My friend is somehow still hanging..how l have no idea.
I am SOOOOOOO pleased that your piece got excepted for the show..it is amazing and so detailedx
Your son and girlfriend look gorgeous as does their own home. have a good rest and then start again on all those amazing projects of yours.xxlynda