Saturday, June 07, 2014

Engima III


(Above:  Enigma III, detail.  Click on image to enlarge.)

When my studio looks like a polyester stretch velvet bomb exploded, it is time to clean up.  Recently, I took some of the hundreds of scraps and created Enigma III.  The same fusing and melting techniques are used as in my "In Box" and "Stained Glass" series ... except that I don't finish it off with the industrial heat gun.  All the holes and lines were added with my fine-tipped soldering iron.  I'm really pleased with this piece ... because I think it succeeds in looking like an idea bursting into reality ... like a nova, a unique spark, the seed of inspiration. 

 
(Above:  Enigma III.  Unframed 18" x 16"; framed 33 1/2" x 29 1/2".)

Unlike most of my other work using polyester stretch velvets, the three "Enigma" are each matted ... wide mats ... a very contemporary look.  Tomorrow I'll have four "Window" series pieces and one "In Box" piece to post.  I'll also be spending the day packing for a teaching engagement.  I've been hired by Berkeley County's Talented and Gifted Summer high school program.  It's a Monday - Thursday job lasting for the next two weeks.  I'll be teaching my "HOT" workshop ... all the processes that use heat-activated adhesives and my melting techniques.  It is always SO MUCH FUN!  I promise to post pictures.

3 comments:

Yael said...

This is very beautiful Susan! Sehr schoen! :-)

Els said...

So fun when you see what leftovers lead to ....

Have fun with your workshops : there will be a lot of happy students !

Margaret said...

Remarkable technique! And while I understand your interpretation, if you created one in varying tones of a single colour, you could create some wonderful floral pieces (chrysanthemums...) Just a thought. :-)