Saturday, June 21, 2014

Last Saturday ... Mini Maker Faire 2014


(Above:  Me at EdVenture, the Children's Museum here in Columbia, South Carolina and the site of the local 2014 Mini Maker Faire.   Click on any image to enlarge.)

I'm woefully behind in blogging.  Why?  Well, this past week I've been very, very busy sharing my love of fiber and stitch with the Berkeley County Talented and Gifted High School Summer Art Program.  Last Saturday was another day in the public eye ... at the Mini Maker Faire held in EdVenture, the Children's Museum here in Columbia, South Carolina.  I demonstrated with my Babylock embellisher, a dry felting machine.


(Above:  Making dry felted bookmarks with the public.)

From 9 - 5 fiber bookmarks were made with anyone willing to try!  I did this last year ... and mostly only children were willing!



I had plenty of young people this year too ...



... but I had lots of curious adults this time around.  It was wonderful to talk about felting, fiber, creative energy, and the loads of possibilities this cool little machine allows.

 

Even the guys got into it!  (There are more photos from this event further below.  Please scroll down!  I will be posting tomorrow ... with images from my second week in Berkeley County, including images from the closing show of student's work.)


(Above:  Key to Glory. Inventory # 3177.  Framed: 10 1/8" x 8 1/8". $80.  Click on image to enlarge.)

There were also opportunities for me to demonstrate how various materials can be adhered to one another using the embellisher.  I created several small "backgrounds" from snippets of fabric, antique material, wool rovings, chiffon scarves, and lace.  Later, I added a tagged key and framed some of these samples.


(Above:  Key to Lost Causes.  Inventory # 3175. Framed:  6 1/2" x 5 1/2". $60. Click on image to enlarge.)


(Above:  Key to Peace. Inventory # 3173. Framed:  9 1/4" x 7 1/4". $80. Click on image to enlarge.)


(Above:  Key to Comfort.  Inventory # 3174. Framed: 6" x 5". $55.  Click on image to enlarge.)


(Above:  Key to Destiny.  Inventory # 3176. Framed:  10 3/4" x 8 1/2". $85. Click on image to enlarge.)


(Above and below:  More photos from EdVenture's Mini Maker Faire 2014.  It was a blast!)





I am a day late ... but will try linking this post (as it is my only one since last week!) to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber artwork!  Next week ... I'll have more than one post from which to select!

No comments: