Sunday, May 01, 2016

Peacock Feathers and other new work


(Above:  Peacock Feather III, detail.  Click on any image in this blog post to enlarge.)

In the summer of 2008 I created a large triptych using peacock feathers.  (Click HERE to see it.)  At the time, I thought I'd return to using peacock feathers within the year. Well, it's been nearly eight years but the idea was still in the back of my mind ... until this week.  I have no idea why I finally acted on this bit of inspiration but I'm very, very happy with the results, and I resolve to do more ... soon!


(Above:  Peacock Feather I. Inventory # 3694. Framed: 31" x 11". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

Perhaps the impulse to use the peacock feathers came about because I needed to make more Lancet Windows.  Lancet Windows measure approximately 27" x 7 1/2" before being framed.  Their frame size is 31" x 11". The elongated peacock feathers really are the perfect size for this presentation.  So although I did manage to make one Lancet Window (scroll down), I couldn't resist making three "Peacock Feathers" using the same basic dimensions and materials.
 

(Above:  Peacock Feather II.  Inventory # 3695. Framed: 31" x 11". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

I cut two layers of polyester stretch velvet (onto which I'd previously ironed a layer of Wonder Under).  The larger is on the bottom. It is an olive color.  The smaller is on the top, turquoise.  Around the edges I placed additional, dull yellow squares of polyester stretch velvet.  I ironed a sheet of previously painted (a very, very light wash of watered-down acrylics) over the entire surface and then added plenty of metallic foiling.


(Above:  Peacock Feather III.  Inventory # 3696. Framed: 31" x 11". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

Next, I ironed a peacock feather on the top.  Not all the Wonder Under was covered with metallic foil ... so it held the feather in place.  Finally I added a chiffon scarf over the top and stitched with 100% black cotton thread.  These instructions are really just a variation on my free, on-line tutorial,  "How to Make an In Box".
 

(Above:  Detail of Peacock Feather III, showing the hand stitching on the peacock feather stem.)

After stitching, I stapled the piece to a stretcher bar, hand stitched some thick purple metallic thread up the stem, and melted holes in the blocks along the edge.  It was fun to see my earlier idea spring into life ... even after eight years!


(Above:  Lancet Window LXXIV. Inventory # 3697. Framed: 31" x 11". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

This is my newest Lancet Window ... the same size as the Peacock Feathers.  

(Above:  In Box CCXXI.  Inventory # 3698. Framed 19" x 15". $225 plus tax and shipping.)

Last week I also tried to replenish my supply of "In Box Series" pieces.  Four small ones and two large ones were made.  They are below!

(Above: In Box CCXXII.  Inventory # 3699. Framed 19" x 15". $225 plus tax and shipping.)

(Above: In Box CCXXIII.  Inventory # 3700. Framed 19" x 15". $225 plus tax and shipping.)

(Above: In Box CCXXIV. Inventory # 3701. Framed 19" x 15". $225 plus tax and shipping.)


(Above: In Box CCXXI.  Inventory # 3698. Framed 19" x 15". $225 plus tax and shipping.  This photo was taken before the glass was placed in the frame ... as a way to show how the work looks when ready to hang on the wall but without the glare!  Thanks, Steve, for modeling!)

(Above: In Box CCXXV. Inventory # 3702. Framed 33 3/4" x 21 3/4". $550 plus tax and shipping.)

Above and below are the newest, large In Box pieces.  I love making them.  These are headed to the Grovewood Gallery in Asheville ... along with some of the other work!

(Above: In Box CCXXVI. Inventory # 3703. Framed 33 3/4" x 21 3/4". $550 plus tax and shipping.)

I'm linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts.

3 comments:

artistalight said...

Precioso arte

Linda Geiger said...

Breathtakingly beautiful!

Julia @ Vintage with Laces said...

Your artwork is just stunning, Susan! I love each and every piece. Thank you so much for the tutorial. May I ask, if the metal foil you use, is the same kind you would use for e.g a picture frame or a piece of furniture?