Thursday, September 22, 2016

Quilting Arts and new work

(Above:  On the set of the PBS Quilting Arts show ... me and my piece Ancestors, a fiber vessel filled with wrapped-and-stitching wooden thread spool to which I've attached thumbnail images from family photos.)

Just over a week ago I drove to Solon, Ohio to be filmed for three, upcoming segments of the PBS Quilting Arts television show.  It was a big deal.  I even had to get a manicure.  There was a make-up artist (which accounts for how I look in these photos! LOL!)

 

The show is hosted by Susan Brubaker Knapp. Vivika DeNegre and Kristine Lundblad from Quilting Arts Magazine were there and so was Jeanne Cook Delpit from BERNINA sewing machines, show sponsors.


There were producers, television editors, camera men, and several other art quilters being filmed ... like Leni Weiner, Ellen Lindner, and Teresa Shippy.


There were at least three cameras, lots of fancy lighting equipment, microphones, a "green room", and a place to organize the "step outs" for each segment.

 (Part of the television crew)

So ... what did I do?  Well, I demonstrated how to make one of my Peacock Feathers, a fiber vessel, and use buttons with blanket stitching instead of traditional binding on an art quilt.  Each of these three segments had multiple "step outs".  So ... what's a "step out".  Well, it is an illustration of the various stages in the development of a piece.  For my fiber vessels, my first "step out" was showing nine various yarns being fed into the Bernina's cording foot ... and me zigzag stitching them into a cord.  The second "step out" showed the finished cord coiled into a small circle ... and me zigzag stitching the beginning of a vessel.  The third "step out" showed how I position the sewing machine off the edge of a table in order to continue stitching the half-formed vessel.  The final "step out" showed how I finish the rim of the vessel.  Now ... if this doesn't make sense, please visit my free, on-line tutorial called "How to Make a Fiber Vessel".  Step-outs are necessary because the television crew can't spend the time for anyone to completely make a piece of art in front of the camera. 


For the buttons and blanket stitching, I had three step-outs but also got to show some of my vintage buttons and several pieces from my Grave Rubbing Art Quilt series.   For my Peacock Feathers, my first "step out" simply showed the cut fabrics and supplies.  After that, I had three more "step outs" to show the various stages each piece goes through been made.

 (Above:  Girls Day Out!  This is my mother and me trying on Amish bonnets at the Cheese Store in New Wilmington, PA.  My sister Sonya snapped the photo.)

From Solon, Ohio, I drove to Slippery Rock, PA to visit with my parents and my ninety-seven year old grandmother ... and to have a great "Girls Day Out" with Mom and my sister Sonya.  It was a great visit.  We had loads of fun!  Last Friday I drove back to Columbia, South Carolina and I've been working ever since.

 (Above:  The three former "step outs" for the Peacock Feathers ... finished, mounted, and ready to go into their frames.)

Of course there were plenty of orders from custom picture framing clients, but I was also able to finish several of my own pieces ... including the three, former "step outs" for the Peacock Feathers.

 
 (Above:  At Rest with Quilting Arts.  12 1/2" x 10 1/2".  Crayon grave rubbing on unbleached muslin combined with vintage lace and trim on a piece of an old damask tablecloth.  Vintage buttons.  Hand and free-motion machine embroidery.  Click on any image of my work for an enlargement.)

I also finished one of the "step outs" for the button and blanket stitch segment.

 (Above:  At Rest with Quilting Arts, detail.)

There are two, very similar others but I plan on more hand stitching on each of them.  I have no idea when I'll get to this stitching but it is nice to know I have handwork at the ready!

 (Above:  At Rest with Quilting Arts, reverse.)

This is the reverse of the piece ... using more vintage household linens.

 (Above:  Lunette XXIII. Inventory # 3830.  Unframed:  16" x 22". Framed: 21 1/2" x 17 1/2".  $495 plus tax and shipping.)

I also finished melting, mounting, and framing three pieces that were otherwise constructed before I left.  They include Lunette XXIII and ...

 
 (Above:  Window CXXI. Inventory # 3833. Framed: 17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265 plus tax and shipping.)

... and Window CXXXI  and ...


  (Above:  Window CXXII. Inventory # 3834. Framed: 17 1/4" x 15 1/4". $265 plus tax and shipping.)

... Window CXXII.  These pieces and the ones below are headed for my two big shows in November.  One is a solo show at City Art here in Columbia, South Carolina.  The other show is the Philadelphia Museum of Art Craft Show.  I still have lots more work I want to make before then!

 
 (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Summer.  Medium sized. Inventory # 3836.  Unframed: 21" x 16. Framed: 29" x 23".  $495 plus tax and shipping.)

Since returning home, I started making two more sets of "Seasonal Leaves".  I made four earlier in the year. They are larger and I blogged them HERE.  Thus, I am now in the process of making a "medium" and "small" version.  Summer, Autumn, and Winter are complete.  I will have to wait until next week to create Spring.  Why?  Well, tomorrow Steve and I are flying to California to visit Yosemite and Sequoia National Parks and to visit my cousin Monika Lenz who I haven't seen since I was about fourteen years old.  I'm excited.  Below are the rest of the new pieces in the two Seasonal Leaves sets.  

 
 (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Summer.  Small sized.  Inventory # 3831.  Unframed 19" x 13". Framed: 25" x 19". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

  (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Autumn.  Detail.)

  (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Autumn.  Medium sized. Inventory # 3837.  Unframed: 21" x 16. Framed: 29" x 23".  $495 plus tax and shipping.)

  (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Autumn.  Small sized.  Inventory # 3832.  Unframed 19" x 13". Framed: 25" x 19". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

   (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Winter.  Medium sized. Inventory # 3838.  Unframed: 21" x 16. Framed: 29" x 23".  $495 plus tax and shipping.)

  (Above:  Seasonal Leaves: Winter.  Small sized.  Inventory # 3839.  Unframed 19" x 13". Framed: 25" x 19". $395 plus tax and shipping.)

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts. 

3 comments:

Susan Brubaker Knapp said...

Thanks for coming to Ohio to share your wonderful work with us, Susan. The QATV viewers are going to love learning about your techniques!

Julie Bagamary said...

Gorgeous work. Congrats on being on Quilting Arts TV. I look forward to see you on PBS!

mumbird3 said...

Awesome projects! Looking forward to seeing you on Quilting Arts!!!