Monday, December 24, 2018

Blue Angel

 (Above:  Blue Angel. Inventory # 4394. Framed: 27 1/2" x 22". Image transfer on fabric with free-motion and hand embroidery, beading, and trapunto/stuffing.  $275.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

For several evenings during the past few weeks, I've been pulling metallic silver thread through the layers of fabric depicting the overcast sky in this photo of a cemetery angel.  The outlines of the sculpture are machine stitched.  Stuffing from the reverse gives the figure a slight, bas relief effect.  This is traditionally called trapunto.  The last thing I did was to add the beaded halo. 

 (Above:  Blue Angel, detail.)

I'm very pleased with this piece and it was a relaxing activity during the busy holiday season.


1 comment:

Ann Scott said...

I love seeing your stitching in this piece, it works so well. Before I read your last sentence I thought; "That fill stitching must have been meditative." I guess I wasn't too far off. We don't often hear "relaxing" when people describe working with metallic thread!
Even when I haven't commented I have very much enjoyed your posts, thank you.