Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Roadside Madonna and "on the road" over the weekend

(Above:  Roadside Madonna II with Virginia Bedford and me.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Ordinarily, I never stitch a piece more than once. At least that's what I tell myself but it really isn't true.  I've made over three number pieces in my "In Box" series and I've used some of my favorite "Stained Glass" designs over and over again ... just because I like them. 

This weekend my husband Steve and I drove to Decatur, Georgia to pick up two pieces from the recently closed Transformers:  Digital Alchemy, an invitational show at Agnes Scott College.  One of my pieces in this show, Ready, Aim, Fire! II (aka "Second Shot"), was made because the first one is currently in a SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associates) traveling exhibition.  So ... I guess I really do make more than one piece ... at least occasionally.

Roadside Madonna II resulted because Virginia Bedford wanted to buy it after I sold it to another nice lady.  I've known Virginia for years and years. She's purchased other pieces from me.  She posed for one of my Decision Portraits too. Because I loved stitching the first piece, I agreed to stitch a second.  Yesterday, Virginia came to pick up her finished work.  It was wonderful knowing that a snapshot from a roadside memorial in Arizona is so loved!

(Above:  Time at the Transformers: Digital Alchemy exhibition at Agnes Scott College.)

It is generally sad when an important exhibition closes.  The work returns to Columbia and is generally put back into storage.  Transformers: Digital Alchemy was such an important show!  For four months, my work hung beside a tire installation by Chakaia Booker and near a piece by Sonya Clark and Amy Orr, all artists working on an international level, all artists whose work I admire and whose studio practices I respect.
 

When Steve and I dropped off, he took the photo above.  Ready, Aim, Fire! II would hang directly above on the wall on which it was leaning.  That's  Chakaia Booker's piece in the foreground, also leaning on the wall on which it was positioned. At the time, I wasn't sure exactly where Time would be placed. 

(Above:  Time on a pedestal with a piece by Amy Orr in the background.)

It was stunning to see that Time was right inside one of the gallery's doors.  What a place of honor!

(Above:  Uline's warehouse.)

Because we were in the Atlanta area, we went to Brazelton, an industrial area on the northeast side of Atlanta.  We went to pick up an order of corrugated boxes too large to ship via FedEx ground.  The place was gigantic!  The aisles were nearly as long as the distance from one end of the warehouse to the other.  No one seemed to walk inside the building.  They all drove around on carts!  Everything here  supports some sort of shipping/packaging/storing issue.  That means, almost everything here is meant to eventually be thrown away!  Shocking ... but I'm glad we have flat, side-loading boxes.  We can continue shipping artwork!

(Above:  The Key to 100 Years of Love.)

Speaking of shipping, we sent the piece above to my Grandma Baker.  On the 15th she will celebrate her 100th birthday.  Amazing!  My youngest sister Sonya arranged an article in the local, Grove City, PA newspaper.  CLICK HERE to read it.  I found it this morning.  I have a "google alert" on family members' names.  This is the first time one popped up for LoraDell Baker!

No comments: