Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Mandala XLIV

(Above:  Mandala XLIV. 46 1/2" x 46 1/2" when hung as a diamond; 33 3/4" x 33 3/4" when hung as a square.  Found objects hand-stitched to a section of a vintage quilt. Found objects include: the metal part of a vintage glass trivet; keys, buttons, caps for syringes; shower curtain hangers; hinges; red milk bottle caps; blue water bottle caps; galvanized washers; external tooth locker washers; paper fasteners; white plastic rings; clear plastic bracelets, and red Corby's whiskey, parrot-topped cocktail swizzles.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Sometimes it is better for me not to know about the generosity others have extended to my stash.  Until just a few moments ago, right before sitting down to compose this blog post, I had no idea that the red Corby's whiskey, parrot-topped cocktail swizzles were vintage and sold on eBay for up to nine-dollars a piece.  They were a gift.  They came unceremoniously in a used plastic shopping bag from a long-time friend simply thought I would like them and might use them for a mandala.  I was thrilled of course but totally unaware of the potential value.

(Above:  Detail of Mandala XLIV.)

I also didn't know that these swizzles once came in different colors or that were made back in the 1950s and 1960s.  I didn't know that Corby's whiskey is a Canadian liquor.  All I saw were lots and lots of cool items for the next mandala and cute parrots.  Frankly, I didn't see the brand name on the swizzles until several were stitched in place. 

(Above:  Detail of Mandala XLIV.)

Yet, I am looking at many things quite differently now.  While browsing aisles in thrift stores, I'm seeing the parts of things, not the whole.  I'm seeing potential in lamps parts and electronic parts. I'm seeing cheap costume jewelry and hair curlers and salt shaker lids in new ways too. 

(Above:  Mandala XLIV, hung as a square.)

I'm also thankful that I finished this mandala today.  Later this afternoon, Steve and I are flying to Phoenix for Easter in the desert.  We are National Parking until April 6th and likely looking at nature in new ways too.  The pandemic has only made us appreciate the outdoors more than ever before ... sort of like looking at "junk" in the light of a future mandala!

1 comment:

Catherine - Mixed Media Artist said...

when I was using oddments (might again at some point) to add to objects then I would spray paint everything to one colour - I too keep seeing potential items at the thrift stores - forever picking up metal bottle caps and other oddments on the street/curb.

love the "swizzle sticks" and finding out you actually have a valuable item that you were gifted because they "might be handy"